SD card while in charge mode?Support

Last Updated:

1. ctc

ctc Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

When I plug my phone into my computer to charge at work I set it to "Charge Only". However, the SD card mounts on the computer and is visible. The phone can't see it.

For some reason I thought that when I first got the phone if I selected "Charge Only" it wouldn't mount the SD card on the computer. How does this work for everyone else?

Advertisement
  2. ShadowKntSDS

ShadowKntSDS Member

I've started having this problem recently. All of the sudden, any time I plug my phone into my laptop, it auto-mounts the SD card, no matter what I select. I have not tried this on my home machine to see if the machine has anything to do with it.

Before, occasionally I'd have a problem where after using the phone on "Charge only", I would not be able to mount the SD card. I solved that by unplugging the cable at the PC end and retrying. Sadly, this does not work for the problem I am seeing now.

3. Eusibius2

Eusibius2 Well-Known Member

When I plug my Incredible in, I'm asked to place into 1 of 4 options:

- Charge only
    - HTC Sync
    - Disk Drive (ie: Mount SD card)
    - Mobile Broadband Connect

Once I make a selection, then hit DONE. Simple as that. I remember somewhere there is a setting that makes your choice a default selection. Possibly, you hit 'make default' to be disk drive.

I'd suggest if it still happens, give your phone a reboot. Maybe it's having difficulty remembering what you chose. If it still happens, give it a factory reset. If it still happens, call tech support...

4. ShadowKntSDS

ShadowKntSDS Member

The problem is that we ARE doing this, but the setting is not having an effect. I have tried rebooting the phone as well. It's not such a big deal that I'd try a factory reset. I also suspect that my laptop has something to do with it. It used have a "unknown device" balloon on the task bar, but instead now it auto mounts.

5. verditsgerman

verditsgerman Active Member

I'm having the same exact problem. It's been going for about a week now.

6. ctc

Yeah that's why I said I set it to "Charge Only" each time. I have not set a default action, it prompts me every time I plug it in. I've rebooted several times since it started happening and nothing helps.

7. verditsgerman

verditsgerman Active Member

Also when I set my phone to use as hard drive, it mounts my phone storage AND my SD card. When I set it to charge only, it just mounts my SD card. It's very annoying because you can't do certain things while it's plugged in (charging) and there is no way to make it NOT mount.

8. Eusibius2

Are you having the same problem on different PC's? Try work PC and Home PC. If the problem is still there, then it's the phone. If it goes away, then it's probably just the way you have your defaults setup when new devices are plugged into the PC.

One way to check your default autoplay settings (on PCs) is to right click the drive letter (in Windows Explorer), and select properties. Then select the tab AutoPlay. Your default for that drive is there. Change to your hearts delight. I know there is another way to get to these settings, but can't remember at the moment.

I'd really suggest a factory reset if that doesn't work. I understand it sounds like several people are having this problem, but unless you have a problem with your PC, then it's possible it's a glitch in your device. Try resetting it.

9. Ordieth

Ordieth Member

Same problem here... I am trying to figure it out.

If I have charge only set to default, the SD card still mounts. but if I change from Charge only to Charge only (not a typo), then the SD card unmounts.....

going to try a couple different tests....

10. Ordieth

Ordieth Member

SOLVED!!!

I had Doubletwist installed, and it has an option in there to "Auto USB drive"

That was overiding the OS setting resulting in my SD card getting mounted.

let me know if this fixes anyone elses problems, but it worked for me! :D

migmac, ma11en, fozzie and 7 others like this.
  11. Eusibius2

DoubleTwist was installed on your computer? Or your device?

12. ctc

BINGO! That was it. Thanks!!!

13. ctc

It was an option in DoubleTwist on the phone. That is why it didn't start happening until a couple of weeks ago.

14. Diabl0

Diabl0 Well-Known Member

Thanks! This issue was really annoying me as well. :D

15. lgldrgdlr

lgldrgdlr Well-Known Member

I had this is issue as well and was getting really pi**ed off about it. I finally figured it out about a week ago.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

16. ShadowKntSDS

ShadowKntSDS Member

Thank you! Finally! This was another one of those "Oh that looks cool" apps that I've never even opened.

17. fozzie

fozzie New Member

Brilliant, thanks Ordieth. I've just updated to Froyo and wondered why I couldn't move any apps to SD...and more worryingly, why my SD card wouldn't mount!
    Thanks again.

18. pfp

pfp New Member

Having Winamp installed on the phone seems to cause this exact problem as well; uninstall fixed it.

19. rdubbs007

rdubbs007 Well-Known Member

Wow, dude, I couldn't for the life of me figure it out and it was pissing me off. Thanks for the tip!

20. wabbitt1970

wabbitt1970 Well-Known Member

I'm glad I found this thread. I didn't even realise this was happening when I was plugging and unpluggng my phone.

I'm a developer so my phone is constantly being plugged in and out of my computer. I only realised this problem when my 16gb sandisk sd-card became corrupted and I wondered why. Then I spotted the phone mounting the sdcard without asking.

I realised that Winamp installed does exactly this. I've uninstalled winamp and the problem went away. Who would have thought a free app could destroy my sdcard.

They need to fix this.

Be careful people with Winamp installed. This is a really bad side-effect and could kill your sd-card.