SD Card WoesSupport

Last Updated:

1. superhoops

superhoops Active Member

Hi

I bought a 64gb memory card to get my music onto the note. However without fail after about 2 minutes of copying (by drag and drop) I get a message "The device has either stopped responding or has been disconnected". Dismounting and then mounting the card and unplugging the usb brings it back for a few minutes before the same thing happens.

The songs that have copied are playing ok on the note but if I open up a music folder from the memory card on the pc it is empty, and yet they play on the device.

I have formatted the card, tried copying the music files with the card in my S3(same results) and am at a loss what to do. Is it likely the card is faulty or is it a problem with my pc or even with both my S3 and Note.

I would appreciate any advice. Thanks all

Advertisement
  2. Jore

Jore Well-Known Member

What brand card is it?
  3. ckelly33

ckelly33 Well-Known Member

Can you use a card adaptor and copy to it THEN insert it into the Note 10.1?
  4. JohnB47

JohnB47 Well-Known Member

More info please.

Are you on ICS or Jelly bean? Why did you format the card and to what format? What make of card (as already asked)?
  5. superhoops

superhoops Active Member

Hi, thanks for the replies.

The card is a Sandisk Ultra micro sd 64gb.

Must admit I hadn't thought of trying the card in an adaptor and inserting in the computer- yep that worked without a problem. I copied 500 tracks as a test and completed fast accurately. Thanks for the suggestion.

The note 10.1 and Galaxy S3 are both jellybean. I formatted the card(In the S3) when the problem first showed as I hoped that might be the solution.

I guess using the adaptor to copy/delete may be a solution if I cant get the note/S3 to do it properly. I can imagine one device is faulty but both?
  6. JvdMaat

JvdMaat Member

7. Szadzik

Szadzik Well-Known Member

Neither the phone nor the tablet is faulty. The pprobblem was MTP and your PC.
  8. superhoops

superhoops Active Member

JvdMaat Thanks for that, I have done as you say and the result was "Test finished and all data written could be validated" which I presume means it is ok.

Szadzik Sorry to be ignorant but what is MTP and what should I do about it? Cheers
  9. Szadzik

Szadzik Well-Known Member

Media Transfer Protocol. It is the protocol that is used to connect your device to your PC.

Normally, when you connect a storage device, UMS (USB Mass Storage) protocol is used and the PC does not have any problems with that.

MTP on the other hand, is a protocol used by cameras, Portable Media Players, etc. It is far from perfect and can cause problems with transfer.