• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help SD card won't mount on HTC Desire, works fine on another phone

xsenna

Jun 27, 2011
Hi all,

I've searched for a solution on this forum and on google for the last 2 hours, to no avail:

Today, while installing some random Market app updates on my HTC Desire the phone restarted (I didn't pay close attention, as to why) and the SD Card is no longer visible. The phone does not recognize the card at all, it is not visible for mounting or formatting in the settings (the options are greyed out). Also, when connecting the USB cable to my PC, the SD mount option is not visible at all.

At first I thought that my card was fried, but I have another (non-Android, Nokia) phone which accepts SD cards and all the files are visible on that phone. I've tried using another SD card, it's also not visible. So the fault is definitely with the phone and not the card.

Given that it all happened during an update of some apps, I would suppose that the fault is not hardware (I didn't drop the phone or anything). Can anyone help me out? Should I try some recovery options? Clearing cache partition didn't help.

Edit: The phone is not rooted, has all the latest updates, Android 2.2 (updated a long time ago).

It's difficult for me to remember the ones that were updated - is there some update log that I can access? There were 5-6 apps, I remember 3 of them. As all of my apps are stored on the SD card, they are not visible in the apps list, but from Manage Application I can uninstall them.

I've tried uninstalling the 3 I remember, rebooted - still no SD card, not able to mount.

Is it possible to restore / repair the last ROM somehow?

Upvote 0
Settings>About phone>Software version

Can you tell me what version you have currently please?

I'm wondering if this could be a usb brick....

Its not really a brick as mostly its fixable.

SUroot -

Software information:
Android version: 2.2
Baseband version: 32.49.00.32U_5.11.05.27
Kernel version: 2.6.32.15-gf5a401chtc-kernel@and18-2 #1
Build number: 2.29.405.5 CL293415 release-keys
Software number: 2.29.405.5
Browser version: Webkit 3.1

Upvote 0
OK that is the unbranded World Wide English, which makes life easier.

Go to the toolbox link in my signature (Scroll up to my first post in this thread if you cant see it below).

Scroll down to:

Stock RUU for 2.29.405.5
and download the RUU using the "mirror" link. This RUU (Rom Upgrade utility) runs from a windows PC whilst your phone is connected via USB. Run the RUU.exe file (Run as admin) and follow the prompts. This should wipe and reinstall android as if it was brand new. Let me know if you get any USB connection errors.

Upvote 0
If pulling the battery out yeilds the same result, from the same post and section you downloaded the RUU, download the PB99IMG.zip and rename it to be "PB99IMG.zip" (this is case sensitive so capital letters are important".

Put it on the root of your SD card (i.e not in any folder) using your nokia.

Then hold down and press power to turn on the phone. This will look for PB99IMG.zip on your sd card after about 7 seconds. This is the same as an RUU but without the USB connection.

Upvote 0
Hi SURoot,

Thanks for spending this time to help me. Just to let you know - the PB99IMG.zip did not have any effect, it was not picked up on the card, it looks like some lower level problem, maybe even hardware, so I've decided it's time to give up and sent it for repair.

This is my first hardware (if it is) issue in a long, long time.

Upvote 0
OK that is the unbranded World Wide English, which makes life easier.

Go to the toolbox link in my signature (Scroll up to my first post in this thread if you cant see it below).

Scroll down to:

Stock RUU for 2.29.405.5
and download the RUU using the "mirror" link. This RUU (Rom Upgrade utility) runs from a windows PC whilst your phone is connected via USB. Run the RUU.exe file (Run as admin) and follow the prompts. This should wipe and reinstall android as if it was brand new. Let me know if you get any USB connection errors.
Hi im having a similar problem, my desire cant see the sd card
i tried formating and mounting it using clockwork recovery from the boot screen but it only gave me errors :thinking:.
i got the phone second hand so i am not sure if this is a hardware problem or not, the seller said it was working fine.
i thought a new rom or update might fix the problem, i've followed your rooting guide and so now its rooted :) thanks
i tried to download the stock ruu but a user/ password screen poped up, i have the same software installed as the guy above, i would realy appreciateit if you could help me out

Upvote 0
androiderer - My problem was actually a hardware problem at the end, they've cleaned the contacts and gave the phone back to me.

I also had another issue with the sd card recently, which suddenly died on me, I thought the issue was repeating itself, but tried with another card and it worked, so it was just the case of a fried card.

Reactions: androiderer
Upvote 0
androiderer - My problem was actually a hardware problem at the end, they've cleaned the contacts and gave the phone back to me.

I also had another issue with the sd card recently, which suddenly died on me, I thought the issue was repeating itself, but tried with another card and it worked, so it was just the case of a fried card.

Thanks for the reply, it looks like i might have the same problem

i also tried 2 sd cards but the phone cant see them, they both work when in my pc (fat32 formated) but not in the phone :(

i got the phone off ebay, its not seeing the sd and i have no signal from 2 o2 sims (seller said its working and unlocked), im going to try and clean the sd reader, hopefuly i'll get lucky and it'll read them again :D

Upvote 0
Hang on, you've got no signal as well as can't read the SD card? This might be a different problem, known as a "USB brick".

There's a guide here that might be worth reading, or visit the All Things Root subforum. If you are S-Off (boot into hboot - boot while pressing "volume down" - and see what it says at the top of the screen) then it's really easy to fix.

As for the RUU, do you mean from the "useful downloads" thread? If so the username and password can be found in the thread (latest password near the end). It's there for a reason.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones