• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

phenixdragon

Feb 21, 2010
This isn't really Photon specific but today, my 32 gig micro SD card showed up in the mail. I put it into my Photon but I am wonder, what can I really do with the card? I have been on a Pre 2 for about the past 6 months, and before that I had an HD7 and than a G2 and than a Nexus One. My Android phones, I mostly use the card just to store files, mostly music. But with Google Music Beta, it appears that when making the music offline it only stores it to internal memory.

Is there a way to have Google Music Beta to store the music on the SD card? And can apps now be stored on the SD card? I know previously they couldn't due to security, but has that changed in the past year?

This isn't really Photon specific but today, my 32 gig micro SD card showed up in the mail. I put it into my Photon but I am wonder, what can I really do with the card? I have been on a Pre 2 for about the past 6 months, and before that I had an HD7 and than a G2 and than a Nexus One. My Android phones, I mostly use the card just to store files, mostly music. But with Google Music Beta, it appears that when making the music offline it only stores it to internal memory.

Is there a way to have Google Music Beta to store the music on the SD card? And can apps now be stored on the SD card? I know previously they couldn't due to security, but has that changed in the past year?
Im not 100% sure if Google Music Beta will let you save it to the card but if you go into the settings and scroll down to storage you can switch media syncing from the internal to SD card. Im not 100% sure it will work for GMB though.

Upvote 0
Im not 100% sure if Google Music Beta will let you save it to the card but if you go into the settings and scroll down to storage you can switch media syncing from the internal to SD card. Im not 100% sure it will work for GMB though.

Looks like Google Music only writes to internal memory. Hm...really crappy but for now it's okay. I still have about 2 gigs free and probably will get a new phone in 2-3 months anyway like I always do and sure it will have at least 32 gigs internal. Just seems like having a 32 gig SD card is pointless if I can't store things like the music files on it. I can always use another method of syncing but it's pretty cool to use Music Beta and OTA syncing, playlists, etc...

Upvote 0

I'm not exactly sure how Google Music beta works, aside from the streaming part (even though I do have it and also have the app for my phone).
- How does it play the music offline without a file?
- Does it save a cached file onto the internal memory?
- If it does, I'd assume it'd go onto the accessible internal memory SD, which I'd imagine you'd be able to cut and paste that file into your external SD.

That's the only way I could imagine you'd be able to move the music over. I'd just really have to see what type of file gets stored on the internal memory SD, before I could tell you if that would work or not.

Upvote 0
I'm not exactly sure how Google Music beta works, aside from the streaming part (even though I do have it and also have the app for my phone).
- How does it play the music offline without a file?
- Does it save a cached file onto the internal memory?
- If it does, I'd assume it'd go onto the accessible internal memory SD, which I'd imagine you'd be able to cut and paste that file into your external SD.

That's the only way I could imagine you'd be able to move the music over. I'd just really have to see what type of file gets stored on the internal memory SD, before I could tell you if that would work or not.

Just looked into my internal memory, and Google Music caches the music as mp3. It also renames the songs 4XX.

You could move the mp3s to the SD, but I don't know if the Google Music app will still see it.

Upvote 0
Just looked into my internal memory, and Google Music caches the music as mp3. It also renames the songs 4XX.

You could move the mp3s to the SD, but I don't know if the Google Music app will still see it.

I see. I can confirm that it recognizes the mp3's from the external microSD because that's where all my music was. I opened up the Google Music app, just to see and it recognized ALL of my music and the folders I have them organized in (artist, album name)

Upvote 0
I have a 16GB SD CARD from a previous phone which I partitioned for the ROM(CM7 w/DT's A2SD).
My question is this:
Should I leave it partitioned for use w/the PHOTON or delete the partition? THX.

Does cm7 store cache of any sort that's phone specific? Sounds like a xda question. Have you asked over there yet.

Has it been installing to the ext sd?

Reactions: KOLIO
Upvote 0
I haven't visited XDA w/this question yet nor have I installed the SD CARD on my PHOTON yet.
The card has EXT4 w/a 1GB partition/32MB swap.
The partitioning was used to move apps & DALVIK CACHE to the SD CARD via DARK TREMOR'S A2SD which was built-in to the ROM(CM7.2 on the HUAWEI ASCEND).

EDIT:BTW,I am still stock & un-rooted. THX.

EDIT PART DEUX:Just posted this question @ XDA DEVELOPERS,will post the response as it is received.

Upvote 0
I have a 16GB SD CARD from a previous phone which I partitioned for the ROM(CM7 w/DT's A2SD).
My question is this:
Should I leave it partitioned for use w/the PHOTON or delete the partition? THX.

Just received a response to this question from an XDA member:
The partitioning used for the previous CM7 ROM on my previous phone is basically unused & therefore just wasted space.

I proceded to format the SD CARD back to its original state.

Reactions: nlarson
Upvote 0
I found the cached google music hiding in my HTC Thunderbolt on the SD Card:

/sdcard/Android/data/com.google.android.music/cache/music/

I'm rather disappointed that it doesn't store it in a way that makes sense to humans, too. Sometimes I like to use my phone as a flash drive, and that means taking music off of it, too.

At least it's not as hard to get off as an iPod.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones