SD cardGeneral

Last Updated: 2013-05-07 11:04:47
  1. bobdamnit

bobdamnit Well-Known Member

I recently had my SD card continually unmount on my phone. It started doing it this morning. It continually happens about every 5-7 seconds.

SD card will unmount, get checked for errors, attempt to mount, and fail, giving me a warning in the notification area.

I don't currently have a replacement or the cash for another one. (Until Friday, anyway.) As it stands, I don't know if the SD card is bad or if the phone is just being stupid.

The SD card was a class 10 16GB card by SanDisk. I got it when i bought a miniSD/SD combopack at WalMart, and its been sitting in my computer desk for years in a case. Its older than the warranty period so an RMA is out. But it hasn't been used too hard. This is the first device it has ever been placed in and its only been in the phone a few months.

My question are... Can I use the phone without an SD card? Has anyone else had issues with the phone not wanting to mount SD cards? What won't work if the SD card is missing? (Browser downloads, music app, etc...)

Advertisement
  2. junkie2100

junkie2100 Well-Known Member Developer

to my knowledge using a stock based rom sd card is unecessary for anything but extra space. there is an internal 2gb sd so you shouldnt run into any issues. the problem youre having though sounds like it might just be a bad formatting its happened to me before, you could try to reformat it. though i cant promise its not a different kind of malfunction
  3. bobdamnit

I removed the card and places it in my Win7 machine. The card come up with errors and I let Windows scan and attempt to fix bad sectors.

After that, it requested to be formatted, and Windows said it could not be formatted.

So I placed it back into the phone and booted into CWM Touch recovery. Then I used the "Format SD" option. That failed too.

I'm guessing the card is bunk.

Thanks, junkie. I'm glad to know that on stock, I can still use the phone as I normally would.
  4. junkie2100

yep and it shouldnt have a problem on any stock based variations either, aa and cyanoid should do fine, you might run into problems with cm, aokp and pacman though
  5. junkie2100

also, you might want to try re-partitioning it. it may just have a bad partition table
  6. bobdamnit

I thought of that. I threw it in my Xubuntu box and the card won't even mount lol.

Its cool. I'm running stock, so I should be OK until Friday. I just won't have all my tunes. :mad:
  7. bobdamnit

For the record, certain apps will refuse to work without an SD card.

For example, Google Chrome refuses to download anything at all because the SD card is missing. It will still browse, but not download anything.

No alternative market will even start. They all complain about the missing SD card.

Tomorrow can't get here fast enough. :banghead:
  8. rlphbgby

rlphbgby Well-Known Member

sounds like your card just went bad I had a 16g sandisk work flawless for 4 months then that unmounting started then after awhile it was dead to the world. So now I got a 32g hope it last longer then the 16g
  9. money15

money15 Well-Known Member

hey if you go a little longer you can call sandisk and they will replace it for free....I had this same thing happen with a sandisk 32gb ultra class 10 card it kept unmounting until it eventually got stuck in RAW format...i couldnt format it or open it.....I would call i had my card for 2 years and they didnt ask for receipt or nothing and sent me a new one which was class 10 and my other was 6 so i was really happy
  10. bobdamnit

Just doing a follow up...

Bought a new 32Gb class 6 SD card. Works flawlessly.