SD cards as one big volume?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by gybryant, Aug 20, 2010.

1. gybryant

gybryant Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Does anybody know of an app that will let you see your internal and external sd cards as one big volume? It just seems like it would be easier for me to manage.

Advertisement
  2. snapper.fishes

snapper.fishes Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2010
    I doubt that's possible at all. What you are saying isn't too different from combining two HDD into one big volume space. It has been done, but it's not easy even though it was on a computer. So even less likely it will occur on a phone.

3. sremick

sremick Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2010
    IT Admin
    USA
    Easier to manage perhaps... until you remove the card.

It makes more sense to make the user logically organize and decide where they place the files knowing that the internal storage is one place, and the external card is another.

We've worked fine with that on PCs for decades. When you insert your floppy/CD/DVD disk or USB drive, your C: drive doesn't magically grow in size. I think people can handle the same thing on their phone. ;)

4. bmoliver

bmoliver Well-Known Member

Jul 25, 2010
    US
    What about music files? Will the stock music player automatically "see" music files from both the internal storage and the external card?

5. sremick

sremick Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2010
    IT Admin
    USA
    Yes, that's that annoying "media scan" when you boot your phone. It scans everything then the stock player lists what it finds.

6. bmoliver

bmoliver Well-Known Member

Jul 25, 2010
    US
    Ok, that makes sense. I have noticed that it also rescans when disconnecting (or connecting?) the USB cable.