1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

sd-ext - fails to create

1. critusodem

critusodem Member

Phone: LG Optimus Slider

Installed:
    GingerKernel 2.6.35.7 v07.1
    Mobster Rom v1.3

Objective:
    Install A2SD to deal with this inane low internal memory nonsense

Using:
    How to Partition an SD Card and Install Darktremor Apps2SD on Android Smart Phone? ~ Handy Information

At:
    5. Reboot your device and open a terminal emulator or shell commander and type in the following command to make sure that your second partition (aka sd-ext partition) is mounted at boot.
    mount | grep sd-ext
    You should see the following code:
    /dev/block/mmcblk0p2 on /sd-ext type ext3 (rw,noatime,nodiratime,barrier=1,nodelalloc,data=ordered)

When I enter:
    su
    mount | grep sd-ext

It yields no results (goes to the next time).

Going into the log from the recovery interface provides this:

Formatting /sd-ext...
    I: Set boot command ""
    Formatting unknown device.
    rm: can't remove '.' or '..'
    rm: can't remove '.' or '..'
    Done.
    mtd: successfully wrote block at c7de400000000
    I:Set boot command ""

I did the option step as well:
    Format your sd-ext from mounts and storage>>fromat /sd-ext

Any ideas?
    Thanks and what not.

-Chris

Recovery.log
    Using the mount command once the phone is booted up:

Advertisement
    :
  2. Mobstergunz

Mobstergunz Well-Known Member Developer

It depends if the kernel supports apps to ext which I'm not sure if Ginger kernel does..... you can also try minitool partion wizard for any east way to partion your SD card I also recommend ext2
    critusodem likes this.
  3. jcole20

jcole20 New Member

To be honest, I'd think Drew would be smart enough to enable A2SD at a kernel level in the slider with Gingerkernel. I'd partition via CWM if I were you. And I agree with Mobstergunz in that ext4 will put more strain on your sd because of ext4's journaling. But, in the end, sd-cards are rather inexpensive and this isn't a high dollar device. I still recommend people use CWM and just make an ext4 partition. It's simpler and in the long-run the majority of people probably wont see any strain from the ext4 partition. If you do have the know-how to format to ext2 using busybox and adb or a terminal, then by all means go with ext2.
  4. AndyOpie150

AndyOpie150 <strong> <a href="http://androidforums.com/optimus Contributor

The previously mentioned Utility...QtADB will save all the contents of the sd card, partition the sd card up to 2GB, then transfer back all the contents of the sd card. It will also allow you to pick the format of the partition to one of these: FAT32, ext.2, ext.3 and ext.4.
    You must have a working CWMod recovery or a modified version. There is a lot more it will do, but in this context ^ that's all that needs mentioning.