• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

SD hack for storage expansion

guys is there a fix for the L rom ?
I guess if selinux is in enforcing mode, the hack doesn't work on Lollipop right now. There's no fix for it at this moment because I don't have any device that has Lollipop. I'm thinking to set up an Android emulator to get access to Lollipop, but that would take me a while because I have some other projects I need to finish first.

Upvote 0
The size of each partition is up to you. The 1st/fat32 partition is what Android uses for "external SD" (for photos, media, CWM/TWRP backups, etc.) and the 2nd/ext4 partition is what the hack uses for space (copy of the internal /data plus whatever extra apps you install since using the hack).

Once you're rooted, the next step is to install TWRP. The necessary info should be in the 1st post. Expand the "spoilers" if you need details about a particular step. I don't normally give step-by-step instructions because everyone's phone is in a different state. Read the first post and ask if there's anything specific you don't understand.

As for backup, start by backing up apps and app data in case something goes wrong. Since you're rooted, you can use Titanium Backup. Lots of guides online. Alternatively, Helium Backup is another option that's simpler. Once you've successfully installed TWRP, you can boot into it (but don't use the button combo from a powered off state to enter recovery on this phone) and make full system backups. Once you've made backups, copy files on the SD including the backup files to your computer so that SD card troubles won't destroy your backups. With the ability to restore the system back to a previous state, go ahead and install the hack. Good luck.
great thank you for your fast response. I partitioned A 32 gigabyte san deskclass 10with five gigabyteS to the first petition and the rest to the next partition. I will go over the next steps after work and post results again thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
Class 4 no good u need class 10
Not only does it need to be a class 10 but it also needs to be a high end sdcard. At the very least I would reccomend a Samsung evo or sandisk ultra. I had a sdcard that was a Lexar class 10 and when I did the sdhack with that one my phone became unusably slow.

Reactions: SantitasHeart
Upvote 0
so i did everything up to flashing the zip files because when i go to TWRP to roboot recovery the screen resets to the TEAMWIN start screen then doesnt go anywhere else. any ideas?
The file you need is LG-F6-TWRP-V3.apk. The link to the actual TWRP thread is in the first post and the fifth post. Install the apk. Open the app. Click "Install Recovery". Allow superuser request. After it's installed, click "Reboot Recovery" (and allow superuser request) to reboot the phone into recovery.

Upvote 0
yea it does work but my phone is way slower now laggs alot more and takes more time to open/ load a app ... This is the sd im using it might be cause of that? http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Class...1512797&sr=8-4&keywords=16gb+sandisk+micro+sd
Like Masterchief87 said, some class-10 SD cards are made for camera and action cam uses so they are optimized for sequential speed. You want good random access speed to avoid a laggy phone. Some manufacturers would mention phone/tablet use on the package or their website. Also make sure you don't get a counterfeit if you decide to get a new card.

Right now, you can get a Samsung EVO 16GB for about $10 and 32GB for about $14 at either Best Buy or Amazon. If you're willing to wait for a bigger discount, they have been a couple of dollars cheaper in the past. One drawback about EVO is that it uses TLC flash, so its lifespan is shorter (besides being slower) than the more expensive PRO line. But this shouldn't be a big problem unless you frequently rewrite large amount of data to the card. Just remember to replace old cards with newer/cheaper/bigger/faster ones in a few years if you do actually keep the same set of data for that long.

Upvote 0
I did exactly that but when I get to the part to reboot to recovery it reboots and goes to a screen that says teamwin. It pauses there and goes no further. Thanks for the help. I'm sure you've heard this before but damn you guys are brilliant. Seriously. These cell phone manufacturers are a pain or i guess it's really the carriers. Anyway, thanks again.

Upvote 0
I did exactly that but when I get to the part to reboot to recovery it reboots and goes to a screen that says teamwin. It pauses there and goes no further. Thanks for the help. I'm sure you've heard this before but damn you guys are brilliant. Seriously. These cell phone manufacturers are a pain or i guess it's really the carriers. Anyway, thanks again.
Hmm... maybe something is corrupt. Check the apk file. Try reinstalling. Try re-downloading to internal storage and reinstall from there. If you're familiar with ADB or a terminal emulator, I can give you manual commands to verify the recovery installation is correct. I just downloaded the apk from mediafire myself. The apk itself seems to be fine. The recovery binary in the apk matches with the functioning recovery I have in my phone. So in theory it should work if nothing has corrupted the process.

You must still be running the stock rom if you don't have a custom recovery. The other option is to install pressy4pie's CWM recovery (check the forum) and use that to flash the zips. It should work fine if you're only using a Jelly Bean rom anyway.

The third option is to use one of the older installation methods I used to support. But it's better to get a functioning custom recovery.

Upvote 0
I actually use a 64gb Pro with 75%fat32 & 25%ext4. Got it for $40. No lag whatsoever.
Nice. There was a one-day sale at Best Buy a few days ago. Samsung PRO 32GB for $22 and 64GB for $40. I'm hopeful that the PRO cards are actually faster than the internal flash memory used in the F6, but I won't know for sure unless I or someone can run a benchmark to verify. Are you willing to do a quick test (say, A1 SD Bench, both Quick and Random I/O tests on "Internal memory" with the hack active) to satisfy my curiosity? Not making a request here. Totally cool with me if you'd rather not waste program-erase cycles on some benchmark.

Upvote 0
Nice. There was a one-day sale at Best Buy a few days ago. Samsung PRO 32GB for $22 and 64GB for $40. I'm hopeful that the PRO cards are actually faster than the internal flash memory used in the F6, but I won't know for sure unless I or someone can run a benchmark to verify. Are you willing to do a quick test (say, A1 SD Bench, both Quick and Random I/O tests on "Internal memory" with the hack active) to satisfy my curiosity? Not making a request here. Totally cool with me if you'd rather not waste program-erase cycles on some benchmark.
I've already done some benchmarks on the evo series cards and I can't remember the exact numbers but it had read/write speeds of about 92% of what the internal storage was. I'll run a couple benchmarks when I get home. Honestly, I think that the card is capable of higher read/write speeds than the phone itself is capable of.

Reactions: WarrantyVoider
Upvote 0
so back again :) thanks for the continued help WV. Sooooo this is where im at. I couldnt get TWRP to work as i tried all of your suggestions. but i got CWM to get me to start flashing the files but when i start to flash the 1st file (data on sd copier) it has froze (10 minuted so far) on mounting external partition. im hoping it un freezes

Upvote 0
so back again :) thanks for the continued help WV. Sooooo this is where im at. I couldnt get TWRP to work as i tried all of your suggestions. but i got CWM to get me to start flashing the files but when i start to flash the 1st file (data on sd copier) it has froze (10 minuted so far) on mounting external partition. im hoping it un freezes
For -copy.zip, you should see the following messages if successful (TWRP prints them line-by-line, CWM prints them in a long string for some reason):
Code:
===< DataOnSD Data Copier >===
===< by WarrantyVoider @ Android Forums >===
===< Mounting /data >===
===< Mounting external partition >===
===< Deleting files >===
===< Copying files >===
===< Done >===
The "copying files" step could take several minutes depending on the amount of data to copy and the speed of your SD card. I suppose if you have a lot of data, it could take a while. The other steps should go quickly.

Upvote 0
C:\ADB>adb devices
List of devices attached
1b3f168 recovery
emulator-5554 device

C:\ADB>adb usb
error: more than one device and emulator

C:\ADB>adb kill-server

* daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 *
* daemon started successfully *

C:\ADB>adb -e reboot

C:\ADB>cd \adb

C:\ADB>adb kill-server

* daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 *
* daemon started successfully *
restarting in USB mode

List of devices attached
1b3f168 recovery

List of devices attached
1b3f168 sideload

C:\ADB>adb sideload DataOnSD-copy-1.zip
sending: 'DataOnSD-copy-1.zip' 100%

C:\ADB>adb sideload DataOnSD-install-1.zip
error: closed
error: closed

C:\ADB>

Upvote 0
@mmasini
Not sure what you're trying to do with ADB there. The zip files I've provided are meant to be installed directly in the recovery. They are not Android apps, so sideloading would not work.

In pressy4pie's CWM recovery, you'd do (using volume up/down to navigate, power to select): install zip -> choose zip from /external_sd (assuming you put the zips on the fat32 partition of the SD) -> (find and select DataOnSD-copy.zip) -> Yes -> wait for copying to finish.

You'd see the messages I've mentioned above, without the "Mounting /data" line (because CWM automatically mounts /data). After files are copied, install the -install.zip.

While the copying is in progress, you'd see "===< Copy" at the bottom of the screen and "ing files >===" at the top, or something to that effect. That's just a compatibility issue between my script and CWM recovery's output. If everything happens as I say but the copying step takes a long time, be patient. You probably have a lot of data in internal storage and/or your SD card is not very fast. Normally, it should take a few minutes, but I would not be surprised if copying takes 10-20 minutes.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones