SD Memory for Android Memory Expansion?Support

Last Updated:

1. Oblivionnexus

Oblivionnexus New Member This Topic's Starter

Hey Guy's

I'm sort of new to the Android OS 1.6, but i have a few questions on memory resources.

1. Can the SD card be used and utilized to speed up the android system like READYBOOST works on windows with external memory sources which utilizes a flash drive or SD card to be used like internal memory?:rolleyes:

2.I'm having issues with apps & system programs running in the background.
    I know i refer to windows. but is there a way to kill startup apps like it's possible with MSConfig in windows without using a Startup Cleaner which force closes everything at boot and more times than not it freezes my androind seemingly forever?

~OblivionNexus~

Advertisement
  2. Steven58

Steven58 Reformed PH VIP Member

Hi Welcome to Android forums! This is not the support forum. I recommend you re-post your question in the forum of the phone you have or are interested in. Thanks!

3. bigdroid

bigdroid Well-Known Member

Welcome to Android Forums!! :)

4. OfTheDamned

OfTheDamned The Friendly Undead VIP Member

Actually, I just move this on over to the Nexus forum for Oblivionnexus and see if any of the boys and girls can help out.

5. Talderon

Talderon Well-Known Member

On a STOCK Android device, no, this isn't done and there really is no way/reason too. On OLDER android devices, they partitioned the SD Card from FAT32 to FAT32/ext/swap so they could use the SD Card for SWAP/Cache to free up space for larger ROM's.

Right now, SD Cards are so much slower than RAM that you would not really see much of a gain in performance.

Now, with Froyo (Android 2.2), they enabled HiMem (View my post here for information on HiMem (Google Nexus One Owners | Google Groups)) so the device has access to more RAM for performance boost.

Android is a Linux Based Multi-Tasking OS. There will always be processes running on the background. There are task killers on the market, but there is a debate over their effectiveness going on. Personally, I used to use one on my older devices (G1/MyTouch3G) but on my Nexus One, I don't use task managers/killers at all anymore. Android seems to do a good job killing things when not being used.

Hope this helps. :)

techdaring likes this.
  6. techdaring

techdaring Well-Known Member

@Talderon: Thank you for the answers.

7. Talderon

Talderon Well-Known Member

My pleasure, please let me know if I can provide any additional information. :)