• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

sdcard does not pick up videos

Hi
ICS 4.0.3 on an Arnova tablet.

Photos and music on my sdcard are picked up fine by media apps and my media server but videos are not. Videos do however appear when they are in the tablet internal storage.

Could this be anything to do with the speed of my class 4 sd card? If not, anything else to check?
Cheers,
Steve

Hi Harry, hi everyone
I can play the videos on the sdcard just fine using the stock video player. they appear in the file browser and I can play them just by touching them.

The problem is that whilst photos and music on the sdcard are detected automatically, videos are not.

What I want to do is for them to appear on my WDTV box so I can stream them to my TV screen. If the videos are not available in e.g. gallery, then they don't show in any media server either:(

Any ideas anyone?

Upvote 0
Really frustrating:/
No, there are no
.nomedia
files in the video folder on the sdcard. I can see the videos both in the File Browser and the My Video app by selecting the sdcard in both apps.

The problem is that Gallery only shows videos from the internal storage. I've tried moving a video from local storage video folder (where it shows fine) to the video folder on the sdcard where it doesn't.

Question: to see the .nomedia files do I have to use any special app? Does the default file browser (I have File Browser Verson 4.0 by WonderMedia Technologies) show the 'dot' files OK?
Cheers,
Steve

Upvote 0
When I say the vids don't show in QuickPic, I mean that they don't show as photos do i.e. you can see that a folder contains photos. The folder containing videos does not indicate its content. Opening the folder however reavals the vids which can then be played. The significance of this is that the vids are not available via the MediaServer app which we use to stream vids to our WDTV box and so be able to view then on the TV. To be able to use the MediaServer app, we first have to copy the vids to the local storage where they _are_ visible as expected.

OK, I have a workaround: Install a dedicated DLVC server on the tablet and choose the video folder on the sdcard as one of its root folders. It streams fine then as all the files in the chosen root folders are visible on the WDTV box. It's using a big hammer I know, but it works.

(I'm new to the forum so I'm not sure how long I can leave a tread open. Is it OK to just leave it hanging here in case we come up with something else?)

Cheers, and thanks so much for all your suggestions.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones