• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

SDCard Erased - A reminder to backup

I had the same issue with Slacker deleting all my files, and the free Recuva program for the PC does work to restore all your files. Also, once you scan for files, if you click on "Advanced Options" > "Options" > "Actions" you can check off the restore all the files in their correct folder (keeping the folder directory intact)

-Mark

Upvote 0
As an IT manager the #1 thing I recommend to all my employees is to back up! Save EARLY and save OFTEN!

People need to realize that just because you back up the contents of anything to an external hard drive or a USB flash drive, dual redundancy is not sufficient! You are not really backed up in that manner. The best thing you can do is keep 2 separate backups! I'm lucky enough to own a Drobo which is basically a RAID storage solution for people who don't want to configure and maintain. Should up to 3 of the 4 hard drives fail I just pop in a new one and no data lost. I've got one at work and one at home. I keep a full backup of my music, movies and photos on each so that I'm TRULY backed up.

There are online solutions as well but who wants to deal with trickle-uploads and all that. For the layman it may suffice to back up the contents of your SD card to a folder on your computer, but keep it in 2 places just to be safe! :)

Upvote 0
Credit cards and hard drives, for sure, because they're magnetic devices but it's pretty unlikely to happen with nand flash because the storage cells are transistors that are changed electrically, not magnetically. Maybe if it was a really strong magnet and it was moving or spinning and was able to create an inductive charge on the flash card/drive.

Upvote 0
Credit cards and hard drives, for sure, because they're magnetic devices but it's pretty unlikely to happen with nand flash because the storage cells are transistors that are changed electrically, not magnetically. Maybe if it was a really strong magnet and it was moving or spinning and was able to create an inductive charge on the flash card/drive.

Yea, I second that. The fact that the car dock and the multimedia dock use magnets to activate different home screens tells you that it is OK to have magnets near the sdcard. ;)

By the way, did you ever remove the magnet that's inside a harddrive? Those are some POWERFUL magnets.

Upvote 0
Sorry to continue the threadjacking, but...

Thanks. I'm a mechanical engineer at a company that manufactures DRAM, Flash, Imaging sensors, etc. Actually, the division I'm in designs and builds equipment to handle and test the memory and imagers. Anyway, I always feel like a Neanderthal when I'm in project meetings with all the EE guys talking about the electronics hardware and software.

I love the nickname "knuckledragger"! :D Awesome! :cool:

Upvote 0
Sarcasm: Thanks alot Slacker... My SD card was just fine UNTIL I updated to the new version 1.0.386. Now, my SD card has been erased and I have lost music, videos, and photos. My fault for not backing up, but, seriously?? Better go back to the drawing borad on that "update" cause it blew my card away.
Again...(sarcasm) "Thanks!!"

Upvote 0
That's a helluva deal.

Make sure and take a look at your SD card with a data recovery program, like Recuva, as other people here have mentioned.

Sarcasm: Thanks alot Slacker... My SD card was just fine UNTIL I updated to the new version 1.0.386. Now, my SD card has been erased and I have lost music, videos, and photos. My fault for not backing up, but, seriously?? Better go back to the drawing borad on that "update" cause it blew my card away.
Again...(sarcasm) "Thanks!!"

Upvote 0
Yeah, I will try Recuva when I get home tonight, unfortunately I have already re-written onto the blank card, which is how I realized it had been erased. I went to post a picture I had saved and when I went to my gallery it had only one picture. So, I have probably already overwritten some data, but I'll give it a shot anyway.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones