SDcard Unexpectedly RemovedSupport

Last Updated:

1. feigndeaf

feigndeaf Active Member This Topic's Starter

I just received my Optimus S yesterday from Sprint and currently have the 2GB SD card from sprint in it.

I had no problems with it yesterday and now all of a sudden today I keep getting messages saying that my SD Card has Unexpectedly Been Removed then it says something about removing it and then it says preparing....

I know this has been an issue with other phones (I did some research before posting) but couldn't find anything specific to the Optimus. Is this something that others are experiencing? Should I take it back to Sprint?

Thanks in advance.

Advertisement
  2. Matt_H

Matt_H Active Member

This issue has been discussed on the AC forums:
    Freezing / Lock-ups and SD card issues? - Android Forums

From what I gathered, it's either an issue with a batch of SD cards that shipped with the phones (in which case user a different SD card) or it's an issue with the formatting of the SD card as shipped (in which case, reformat the existing SD card).

3. feigndeaf

Thank you. I had read a bit on it, but I wasn't sure from what I read if it was only related to certain phones or the OS or exactly what.

ETA:
    I have the Samsung card in it. I have a different brand at home, I will try that one. Thank you for pointing me in the right direction. Nothing else I had read on the web had pinpointed it that specifically and I don't think I had read that thread in full.

4. cmags

cmags New Member

Good to know, it comes with a 2GB card right? I'll just use one that I have instead, and relegate the one that it ships with to mp3player duty.

5. jen8112

jen8112 Well-Known Member

If you reformat the card as soon as you get the phone you should be good to go too.

6. feigndeaf

I switched out the card it came with to my Sandisk and I haven't had a problem since.

7. vicshalls

vicshalls Well-Known Member

Have put in diffrent cards and reformated them all and it still unmounts. Any ideas yall?

8. Rhanebeaux

Rhanebeaux New Member

I am now on my 3rd Optimus S that has this issue. Oddly, for as many people on the internet complaining about it, no one at the Sprint store seems to know anything about this issue. In fact they state "You are the only one having any issues," which I find hard to believe. (Is it all that unreasonable to ask that the phone you bought work correctly?) I have 8 days left on my 30 days, and I am seriously considering returning the thing. I really like the phone, but it does not have much memory (512 mb I think?) with out an SD card. Can anyone on here state that they have had NO issues after reformatting/replacing? for a week at least? I really hate to exchange the phone AGAIN, for a 4th time. Not to mention the last time I exchanged it, they tried to tell me that the Anti Virus I downloaded on is was causing the issues....so I can already hear them telling me this is something I did and not the phone itself.

9. wilberfan1

wilberfan1 Well-Known Member

This just happened to me with an Optimus M and a non-factory Sandisk 16GB. Had the phone since late December... I was in the middle of a phone call. Hmmm...

10. Ma}{imus

Ma}{imus Well-Known Member

Here's a fix that should resolve the sd issue in nearly all instances.

1) Get a new sd card minimum class 4
    2) Before putting the card in your phone format it (UNCHECK quick format) from your computer.
    3) Copy your files from your old sd card onto the new one and throw that stock POS away.

11. Ma}{imus

Make sure you reformat on your PC and not your phone. Uncheck the quick format option and let it do its thing.

12. wilberfan1

wilberfan1 Well-Known Member

I did steps 1 & 3 within days of getting the phone. Not absolutely positive if I did step 2. If I get the error again, step 2 it is!

13. Ma}{imus

Here is the best thread I've found on resolving the SD card issues with the Optimus S. Check it out and I suggest following the step by step process in the OP. That resolved this for me.

Good luck.

14. jvc1263

jvc1263 New Member

I've changed display setting to shut down screen in 30 minutes,and i think this work.It look like there is bug in sleep mode/battery saving during the call.