• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help sdcard0 data gone after 4.3

Palmetto Fellow

Android Expert
Sep 24, 2010
SC
I updated to 4.3 today and now my sdcard0 stuff is gone. There's a fraction of the data left behind. Actually, the phone knows that 9 gigs is used but only about a half gig is accessible.

Also, ES File Explorer calls it "0" instead of "sdcard0". Astro still calls it sdcard0 but neither of them can show the content.

When I boot to recovery, CWM can see all the folders that are missing, so that has me hopeful. I can't access the missing files though...as it seems to only work with .zip files and CWM backup files. There happens to be a folder inside sdcard0 called "0" and it shows the same content I see in Astro or ES.

I get the feeling like I am stuck at the 0 layer and can't move up. The recovery doesn't have this problem though.

How do I get my data back?

Do I need a recovery that lets me copy/paste my data to the external sdcard? Is there anyway to make ES call it sdcard0 instead of "0"?

with android 4.2 the file system changed and ill never pretend to understand that lol. I updated to 4.2 a long time ago and after it i did a full factory reset (in phone settings, not custom recovery) which kinda tidied everything up.
Just now im on 4.4.2 and in ES, the internal storage is named "sdcard" uploadfromtaptalk1397001826809.jpg
I doubt if this is useful lol but your data is in there somewhere. Once you find it, back it up and do a FULL factory reset and your file system will start to make sense again :thumbup:

Upvote 0
In ES, try using the search function to find a file you know is in there. When you find it, long press the file, hit more, properties, and it should tell you the file path :thumbup:

I tried a few things and it didn't find them. I wonder if I restore my nand would it help?
I'm honestly not impressed by 4.3.

The lock screen widgets disappeared, my weather on the lock screen disappeared, and I'm having trouble turning off the camera sounds. There's a few other things, but those are the ones that stick out.

What gets me is that my recovery can see those folders but neither of my file explorers can.

Upvote 0
Although I've recovered my data, I can't figure out how to get things back to the way I like it.

There is a folder called " emulated" the storage folder and that's where the "0" folder resides. I can't seem to delete this folder no matter what I do, and ES will now forever call the internal SD card "0".

All three of the folders below have the exact same content.

/storage/emulated/0
/storage/emulated/legacy
/storage/sdcard0

I would like to delete everything except apps and of course the system files from the internal storage, and then force it to refer to the internal storage as sdcard0.

Is this possible?

Once you find it, back it up and do a FULL factory reset and your file system will start to make sense again :thumbup:

Is this my only hope? So I need to titanium backup everything then do the reset? I really wanted to avoid all this...may as well have done a clean install with a system and data wipe if this is the end result instead of a dirty flash with a cache and dalvik wipe right?

Upvote 0
As i said mate i dont really understand file systems etc lol. This is maybe one for the guys in Android Lounge :)
What i did though was use titanium, moved the backup to external then do a full reset in Settings to nuke everything. Reset in recovery only wipes /data so doesnt fix anything really.
Try and find some less extreme advice though :)

Reactions: BRAINZ2013
Upvote 0
I have had the problem with this but once I select root in the main root file explorer and make sure its on root . then I go and put my Es root file explorer and do a reboot and everything falls in place as funkylogic showed and said I think its on the recovery custom recovery controls that SD o and usb1 . I hate the looks of that myself . but I put the main rootfile explorer on the root side and put my Es file explorer .

Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0
As i said mate i dont really understand file systems etc lol. This is maybe one for the guys in Android Lounge :)
What i did though was use titanium, moved the backup to external then do a full reset in Settings to nuke everything. Reset in recovery only wipes /data so doesnt fix anything really.

Well, I've made a NAND backup through recovery, and my Titanium is now finished. I am in the process of moving it to the external SD card.

I should be ready to nuke the phone shortly ;)

Upvote 0

I did the factory reset in the OS and all it did was shut me down, and then my recovery did the formatting for me. I forgot to look closer at what exactly is deleted.

EDIT:

The factory reset didn't really fix anything. It's still playing the emulated/0 game.

I restored my 4.1.2 NAND and that fixed everything...except for the fact that I had deleted all the internal SD content. I copied over my backup of the internal SD, and I'm right back to where I was yesterday before I updated to 4.3.

I may try 4.3 again, or I may try a custom ROM. We'll see. Pretty happy with 4.1.2. I found a way to block the OTA reminder that there's an update in another thread thanks to someone (which reminds me, I need to thank him via the forum button)

Upvote 0
If it helps, I think I saw this same issue using CyanogenMod on my Droid RAZR MAXX. I updated to a Kitkat version of CM and everything I had on internal storage seemed to disappear and I had to "reinstall" numerous apps.

To add insult to injury later versions of CM seemed to "correct" this, and I consequently got to play this game -again-.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones