• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root SDK driver transfer

AfroThunder

Lurker
Jul 29, 2010
Hey everyone, I've just bought an HTC Hero on 3UK, build number 2.73.771.73 CL#94055 release-keys (and I'm new here!), and I'm really enjoying it.

Thought I could get more out of it by trying to root it, but I'm really having trouble.

Ended up on the Goldcard method after 'Unrevoked', 'Instant Root' and 'One-Click Root' didn't work out for me, due to having the wrong build no. I think, and I've downloaded the Android SDK, but the phone doesn't detect/download it when I plug it in to the PC.

What could be wrong? I've been following this guide: How To Root your Telus HTC Hero | Bak 2 Basiks

Thank you!

Ok, well first things first. You tried the unrevoked app, which is designed for Sprint (CDMA) heroes. Never follow any guides or use any apps designed for CDMA phones on your GSM hero.

Do you get any response from the PC when you plug it in? Usually something would pop up in the bottom right notification bar. Also, which version of windows are you using?

Upvote 0
I'm using XP (SP 2), and no, although HTC Sync is installed on my PC, there isn't currently any response from HTC Sync when I plug it in, although the PC itself still recognises it when I mount the SD card from the phone, and allows me to drag and drop files between Windows Explorer and the USB drive.

Edit: I've done a factory reset (and re-installed backed-up apps etc.), and re-installed Sync on my PC, and it's all working fine, still no idea how to transfer the SDK files though.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones