• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

SDK: Install_Failed_Dexopt. Solution?

Skrail

Lurker
Apr 5, 2014
Hello all :)
I am having some trouble with SDK installing apps to my Android. I've tried to find many forums about my issue, but I've hit a brick wall every time. My rooted device is an LG Optimus C running Android 2.2 (ancient lol). My issue is that I'm getting the error: Failure [INSTALL_FAILED_DEXOPT] for every app I try to install. I've wiped the device twice and then found out that this error happens every time after I've installed a good amount of apps...which I read somewhere that this will happen because of not having enough space in Dalvik..or in the data area and won't allow the install to write anything else..correct me if I'm wrong on this :thinking: I've also cleared all caches multiple times, including Dalvik.

I've also tried the work around where you try and skip that all together and put the app straight into /system /app. That came up with no resolution, even with the correct properties selected (read/write/execute etc). So now, I really have no other avenues left but to come here and ask.

Here is the Logcat results I get using adb install -r app.apk no matter what app it is. I will use tumblog.apk (compatible with device) for this example:

D/AndroidRuntime( 4201):
D/AndroidRuntime( 4201): >>>>>> AndroidRuntime START com.android.internal.os.Run
timeInit <<<<<<
I/AndroidRuntime( 4201): Heap size: -Xmx32m
D/AndroidRuntime( 4201): CheckJNI is OFF
D/AndroidRuntime( 4201): Calling main entry com.android.commands.pm.Pm
W/ActivityManager( 1356): No content provider found for:
W/ActivityManager( 1356): No content provider found for:
D/PackageParser( 1356): Scanning package: /data/app/vmdl-166230949.tmp
D/PackageManager( 1356): Scanning package com.luckydroid.tumblelog
E/PackageManager( 1356): Package com.luckydroid.tumblelog has mismatched uid: 10
060 on disk, 10061 in settings
I/PackageManager( 1356): Linking native library dir for /data/app/com.luckydroid
.tumblelog-1.apk
D/installd( 1256): DexInv: --- BEGIN '/data/app/com.luckydroid.tumblelog-1.apk'
---
D/dalvikvm( 4211): Zip inflate: partial write (will retry): (24536 of 32768)
E/dalvikvm( 4211): Zip inflate: write failed: No space left on device
W/dalvikvm( 4211): DexOptZ: extraction of classes.dex from /data/app/com.luckydr
oid.tumblelog-1.apk failed
W/installd( 1256): DexInv: --- END '/data/app/com.luckydroid.tumblelog-1.apk' --
- status=0xff00, process failed
E/installd( 1256): dexopt failed on '/data/dalvik-cache/data@app@com.luckydroid.
tumblelog-1.apk@classes.dex' res = 65280
W/PackageManager( 1356): Package couldn't be installed in /data/app/com.luckydro
id.tumblelog-1.apk
D/AndroidRuntime( 4201): Shutting down VM
I/AndroidRuntime( 4201): NOTE: attach of thread 'Binder Thread #3' failed
D/jdwp ( 4201): adbd disconnected

I really have no clue what any of this means lol...pretty new to logcat. I am aware of the file name not matching the original name of the apk..shouldn't matter considering I've installed many apps with shortened names. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks :)

EDIT: Looks like "E/dalvikvm( 4211): Zip inflate: write failed: No space left on device" is the problem in dalvik. Still don't know how to get around this problem though.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones