1. In regards to recently combined carrier specific root forums, if your device forum was affected, please see this poll/thread!

@SE-Answers: Building Kernel From SourceSupport

1. paxchristos

paxchristos Well-Known Member

First off: moderators, I know this belongs in the all things root subsection, but this is where the SE-answers folks hide. Please keep this thread here!

Now onto my question. SE answers people, so I'm trying to build a kernel from source for the R800x. I have the ramdisk and source for build 3.0.1.E.0.88. I have the build environment built based off the tutorial on developer.sonyericsson.com. I used Android ndk 5b toolchain to make the zImage. I used mkbootimg, following the tutorial to build my boot.img. When I flash the image, and try to boot up my phone, it vibrates, then nothing. Blank screen for 5-10 minutes and then turns off. I logcat'd it, but haven't had the time to check it out. Any ideas as to what's happening?
    Thank you for your help
    Pax

Advertisement
  2. Sam-SonyXperia

Sam-SonyXperia Well-Known Member

Hi paxchristos, unfortunately this one is a little out of my league. I will see if any of the other folk can help but this something that I am not sure we can help with and I may need to refer you to a developer for further support on this matter, sorry.
  3. paxchristos

No worries, I understand that this is out of most peoples league. Thanks for the quick response, though.

I did manage to solve one problem, though. I did have the wrong ramdisk, that was causing it to not boot at all. I now have a (hopefully) working ramdisk, but I've discovered a new issue. When the phone boots, it gets stuck at the Sony Ericsson logo (bootloader?)

I have heard that this is because my boot.img is the wrong size, but I haven't had a chance to test it that theory.

Any help you can find would be fantastic!
    (I can also tell you that Sony's commitment both to helping people (on here, and xda) as well as developer.Sonyericsson.com has pretty much sealed the deal for me sticking with SE for phones.)
  4. paxchristos

Figured out what my problem was... I needed about 2mbs of filler because of a bug in the bootloader...
    Booted a stock build for R800x based off of source, now it's time to have some fun *evil grin*