1. Welcome to the newer, better version of Android Forums! Be sure to see the announcement and enjoy checking it out!

Some of you have been having login issues. - Please try now. Sorry for the trouble!
  2. All attachments uploaded on the first day of this new look need to be re-uploaded, or will appear broken. All prior to that, and all going forward, should work fine. We apologize for the inconvenience!

Sean Peyton banned for 1 year, draft picks lost.

1. TxGoat

TxGoat Guest

Sean Payton of New Orleans Saints banned one year for bounties - ESPN

Seems a little excessive IMO. Unless the coaches were deliberately motivating these players to hurt the players on the opposing teams, then I don't see what the big deal is. You want your players to perform the best, you give them incentives for playing hard.

Advertisement
  2. Unforgiven

Unforgiven ~Play Nice~ Moderator

If giving them $1,000 for a cart off and $1,500 for take outs isn't deliberately motivating them to hurt other players, then I'm not sure what is.
  3. TxGoat

TxGoat Guest

lol, that's what I get for not reading the entire article before posting it up. Although, I can't help wonder if the sanctions are as severe as they are because the NFL is being sued by some former players.
  4. Unforgiven

Unforgiven ~Play Nice~ Moderator

This was brought up in another article I saw over at ESPN.
  5. OstrichSaK

OstrichSaK Well-Known Member

Punishment WAY too harsh and does not fit the crime.
    NYCHitman1 likes this.
  6. NYCHitman1

NYCHitman1 Gun for Hire Guide

Agreed! If people thought this was a violation against player safety, where's all those hypocrites in reference to the 18-game season!?
  7. OstrichSaK

This has NOTHING to do with player safety and EVERYTHING to do with The Shield protecting itself from future litigation.
  8. NYCHitman1

On SportsCenter last night, they kept saying how Goodell made the decision based on future player safety.
  9. OstrichSaK

Complete BS. Every move that man makes is a CYA and this is no different.
  10. NYCHitman1

Don't shoot the messenger. That is just what I heard on ESPN.
  11. OstrichSaK

No, I wasn't coming at you I'm just saying that statement is complete BS and the NFL's track record on the subject of player safety v. potential future player litigation backs it up.
  12. Bnice

Bnice Guest

How come the commissioner gave the New England Patriots a past when they was clearly cheating with the video taping of teams? He also destroyed the evidence. Robert Kraft help put Roger Goodell in office and are buddies thats why. This punishment is way too excessive when bounty for heads has been going on in the NFL forever. This is not a safe sport no matter how you try to make it safe, no sport is safe.
    tube517 and agentc13 like this.
  13. OstrichSaK

This whole thing is SO blown out of proportion. EVERY team has a similar program and has since the day organized football started. I feel bad for the Saint's fans as they're being the most punished here and that's the LAST thing N.O. fans need right now.

I think it's funny how people refer to the Curt Warner hit as proof. WTF?!? You clearly don't watch football. Even Warner said that he was trying to make a play on the ball after an interception and was fair game. He said that the guy didn't go for his knees or his head and hit him solid center mass. He said that he didn't see anything malicious with that hit and HE'S the one who got hit! lol
  14. this is not about player safety.

this is entirely about NFL policy, which was laid down 3 seasons ago, and has been on going and investigated though that entire time.

the Saints personnel lied. the Saints players lied. they got caught. just because every team likely has a similar conduct does not make it right in any way. EVERYONE was told it was to stop. 3 freakin' seasons ago. Saints got caught. Saints lied. Saints covered it up.

if they had just stopped when they were told to stop, they wouldn't be in this predicament now....would they?

and that's why the punishment is so harsh. the message was sent. do what we tell you to do, or else you're gonna get smacked down.
  15. The_Gnome_

The_Gnome_ Well-Known Member

While I do think the punishment is VERY severe, I think the Saints really made things worse on themselves by lying about it to investigators after the fact.
  16. it wasn't only after the fact, it was also DURING the fact.
  17. Yeahha

Yeahha Usually off topic VIP Member

In no way do I think the punishments are too harsh. There is difference between getting paid to play a full contact sport. Getting paid to intentionally hurt another isn't the same and is making it come close to the line of a blood sport which is generally frowned upon. You may say the players know the risk of injury each Sunday at the time they are putting on the uniform but the chances of a player getting hurt when someone is playing football compared to when someone is trying to hurt you while playing football are quite different.
  18. TxGoat

TxGoat Guest

The biggest problem I have is the NFL used to market its "big hits" and that was one of the NFL's biggest draws. Hell, just look at all the NFL "Hardest hits" VHS tapes and DVDs that were available just a few years ago. Amazon.com: The Best of Thunder and Destruction - NFL's Hardest Hits [VHS]: Various: Movies & TV

Now that players have decided to sue the NFL (with good reason since once you're exploited and run into the ground, I understand the care isn't what it used to be), the NFL is trying to minimize its liability.
  19. NYCHitman1

Sean Payton loses $5.8M due to his 1-yr suspension. Ouch!
  20. OstrichSaK

Yeah, they used the huge hits to put them on the map with bits like 'Jacked up!' and similar and selling the prints of big hit moments and selling entire video collections of bone jarring hits and now, suddenly, they're 100% against all of it & we're supposed to believe they care about player safety just now. ORLY?
  21. Adauth

Adauth Well-Known Member

Yes, he deserved punishment, but this is outragous and far to severe. Makes my blood boil just thinking about it.
  22. Yeahha

The difference I see is you can have a big hit but it be something that happens naturally in the course of the game, that happens and I don't see a problem. But setting out with an agenda to injure someone is changing the game.

Safety has been a priority for a while. Rules about helmets, horse collar tackles, helmet to helmet hit...all implemented for player safety, sure if/when a player gets hurt they are going to capitalize on it but the safety of the players is also important, just because it is a violent sport doesn't mean they don't care about the players.

IMO he got what he earned. They wanted to set a standard that you do not do this to prevent it from happening again. I would be willing to bet if it does happen again with another team the punishment is going to be worse.
  23. Adauth

Adauth Well-Known Member

The only thing worse would be a lifetime ban. Let's not forget suspended without pay. So he basically got a 7 million dollar fine. That's just outragous.
  24. Yeahha

He shouldn't have let that go on. Do you think after seeing what they got any other team will allow this to happen again?
  25. Adauth

Adauth Well-Known Member

You can't honestly believe the saints were thr only NFL team doing this. I dont disagree that he should be punished but the punishment is way to excessive. Even most of the ex players/anaylast agree the punishment does not fit the crime.
    Not to mention how screwed up the NFL appeals proceuis. Roger Goodell is basically a dictator. He is the judge, jury, and excetioner of the NFL. Everything has to go through him, a d thats not how an appeal process should work.