Search button stopped workingSupport

Last Updated:

1. Robinelli

Robinelli Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I use it all of the time for voice commands. "Call so and so"... I am frustrated. I really don't want to do ANOTHER hard reset. It's such a pain to get everything customized again... Ringtones especially. Has this happened to anyone else? Any ideas on how to fix it besides resetting it? I tried a soft reset to no avail. Tx.

Advertisement
  2. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra= VIP Member

I moved this question to the Support area for you, Robinelli.

Aside from the factory data reset, have you tried going into the application manager and clearing cache and data both on the search apps (google search, etc)? It could remedy the issue, and you'll have a lot less reconfiguring to do. ;)

Robinelli likes this.
  3. w_bovine

w_bovine Well-Known Member

Oh...you've had to hard reset before? Bummer. I've not had the pleasure yet.

Are you rooted? If so, Titanium Backup really IS your friend.

4. Robinelli

Thank you both!
    Frisco, where is the app manager?

w_bovine, I'm not rooted. I'm certain I'd brick it! My laptop barely functions so I wouldn't be able to bring the phone back to life if that were to occur.

5. w_bovine

w_bovine Well-Known Member

You can go to Settings>Applications>Manage applications>(app) to find the cache. Once there just select Clear cache (under Cache).

Nah...you'd not brick it by rooting. Very easy actually. But I understand your hesitancy if you don't have a solid PC with which to back up. :)

Robinelli likes this.
  6. Robinelli

Oops! Found it. Thanks!

7. BigCiX

BigCiX Well-Known Member

I've been having problems with my back button. Sometimes it takes two or three times to work.

8. Robinelli

I haven't had a chance to say THIS WORKED!!!!!!! Thank you so much! My phone is back to brand new. It's amazing!

9. BigCiX

BigCiX Well-Known Member

What did u do? Just clear your cache?

10. Robinelli

Yes. I cleared the cache. My search is working again and so is my gps. No more black outs and freezes.

11. llblwskydrgn

llblwskydrgn Well-Known Member

That's great! Thanks for asking this question because I had this happen to my last Vibrant, now I know what to do if it happens on this one.

12. tm19

tm19 New Member

Update: The problem corrected itself. For some mysterious reason, the search function started working again. Didn't change any apps or do anything, so all's good I guess.

I just started having this problem.

I'm not quite sure I follow the instructions here. When I go to Applications->Manage Applications, I go through every app and clear the cache, but it makes no difference.

The bottom icons light up when I press the search button, but nothing else happens. I use it mostly for Contacts, but it doesn't work there or in any other app (Market, etc.).

Any ideas?

Thanks,
    - Trevor

13. galchris

galchris New Member

Is there a way to chenge the default app associated to the soft/hard keys of the phone? For example, if I press the ‘magnifier’ soft key (as my phone has soft keys, instead of hard keys) Browser comes up. How could I associate the Quick Search Box to the ‘magnifier’ (Search) key?

Thx.