Search keySupport

Last Updated:

1. dg92104

dg92104 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Is there a way to make the search key default to Google instead of Bing?

Advertisement
  2. dopepope

dopepope Well-Known Member

3. bezerk19

bezerk19 Well-Known Member

Yes, as per the previous poster commented, please note this will only allow the google search feature, but holding the search for voice will still use Bing. If you really want to "de-bing" the phone you will have to root, which is what I ended up doing. Works great!

4. dg92104

dg92104 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Dopepope, thanks for the response, but I did "search a bit" and found nothing pertinent. It would be more constructive if in additiion to the snarky response you would offer me a link to the post to which you referred.

Bezerk19, I don't understand what is meant by root and probably won't, since I am strictly a device user, not tinkerer. Thanks anyway.

5. MutantCheese

MutantCheese Well-Known Member

I'm rooted and still was unsuccessful in getting the long hold search key to revert to google using the above instructions.

6. dopepope

dopepope Well-Known Member

i did provide a link

7. makemehavefun

makemehavefun Well-Known Member

Sounds like you're talking about the voice search, right? I can't just long press to google voice search either. Long pressing the soft search button doesn't work for me as far as taking me straight to google voice search. The soft/capacitive buttons have to already be lit up for long press to work.

In other words, I have to go into regular text-based google search first then back out of it and while the keys are still lit up I am then able to make the long press into google voice search.

8. bezerk19

bezerk19 Well-Known Member

Once you have rooted your phone you need to move the bingsearch.apk(not sure exactly its name but its something close to Ih500-bingxx.apk) file from the /system/app folder to a location in your sdcard (for backup purposes). Once you do that make sure you have the google search installed as well as google maps. Once this is done you should be able to long press the search key and it should bring up google voice search :)

Let me know if you have any questions.