search not working correctly. [soft reset fixed but may show up again]Support

1. AndroidMax

AndroidMax Well-Known Member

If I use the search function ( apps, calender, Google and contacts are checked) to search for calculator or mirror ( both default apps), 9 times out of 10 , I get no results except google web search results. Every once in a great while it throw me a bone and shows the apps. Anyone else seeing this?

Thanks !

Advertisement
  2. marctronixx

marctronixx Moderator Moderator

sounds like an issue local to your device. i have no issues pulling up those items you mentioned.

perhaps try another forced reboot and/or uncheck and re check those items again. maybe remove the checkmark to search the internet and see if that forces the response you are looking for.
  3. AndroidMax

AndroidMax Well-Known Member

Yah, that worked. But this is the second time I had reset the device to fix it. Wonder what could be causing this. I've had the phone for two weeks and it just started doing this after the upgrade .
  4. KENNECTED

KENNECTED Well-Known Member

I've never been able to get that app to open. I dont ever recall being able to get an individual app just to "open". I have however been able to open an app if asking it to do a task/action.

I cannot just say "open calculator" and have the calculator app open. I've always thought the device needed to learn my voice and actions.

However, I can say, "listen to x artist" and I'll get the option to open using Music, Google Play or YouTube. I can set a default, but chose not to.

I can say Call X person and the device will dial their primary number. Using voice actions/search send a text message, email, send a note to myself or ask for directions to X place but I cannot just open the messaging or gmail app.

Am I doing something wrong?
  5. marctronixx

are you speaking about the mic icon on the google search box? that is supposed to work with internet searches.
  6. KENNECTED

KENNECTED Well-Known Member

Yes, that mic is the "google voice"/"google voice actions" app, correct?

It is suppose to work across all applications. Yes?
  7. PattiCakeUS

PattiCakeUS Well-Known Member

I hardly ever use the search function, but I just tried it to see if it was working correctly for me, and it is. When I search for something like "calendar", the top of the screen shows me some web search possibilities, but the apps is listed in the lower half of the screen.
    marctronixx likes this.
  8. marctronixx

this is getting off topic from the actual thread issue, but im under the impression the mic only works for internet searches. the google bar searches on the phone as well as the internet. Even on the evo 3D (and I think the OG evo?) whenever I used the mic it would always pull up the internet, which is exactly what I wanted it to do...

@EVOMAX,

I understand you want to get to the bottom of the issue. Your solution was to reset the phone, which cleared your issue. As to why your phone does it? It could quite possibly be anything under the sun.

You could have an app conflicting with this

You could have a tangled OTA install that could be causing other issues under the hood.

There are countless reasons. I have not had this issue, but im sure others may have had something similar.

I am not sure you will ever get a solid actual reason why things glitch on handsets. each users' phone is setup different from the other and its hard to pinpoint.

There are even glitches on this phone that others have seen that you may not have seen. Again, glitches within the OS...

IF you want to get to the bottom of things, factory reset your device and monitor the activity over a couple days. It could be that your problem may cease to exist.

The ringtone issue is an HTC bug that they are aware. its mentioned in the 4.04 update thread.

Any questions about anything, my PM inbox door is wide open 24/7.. :)
    AndroidMax likes this.