searching for a comprehensive guide/glossary on rooting the DINC

Last Updated:

1. ssddyakno

ssddyakno Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Looking for somebody to point me in the right direction whether it's on this forum or not.

I'm very savvy with technology and have been a part of the jailbreak movement since the beginning.

I just keep seeing a lot of foreign terms here.

I keep reading threads in their entirety but I can't seem to find something that brings it all together as a process.

Help?

Advertisement
  2. ssddyakno

ssddyakno Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Let me elaborate, not just the rooting process, but also what to do after as far as these "kernels" and "roms" and such are concerned.

3. LonelyTV

LonelyTV Member

Not 100% sure what it is that you want, but I will cover what I can. If I missed anything let me know.

To root: http://androidforums.com/925869-post1.html -- Walks you through how to root the device. From my understanding to actually root the device you have to get the device into a recovery mode (similar to the DFU mode) that allows the user access (via a computer) to the file system with root permissions. The only difficult part about rooting is getting the device and computer to interface correctly. It seems to be a mixed bag of variables that make it work. So, I suggest if you've run into a problem read through the forums.

To flash ROMs & kernels: Flashing the device requires root permissions as well as an unlocked NAND. To do this you need to use (http://unrevoked.com/recovery/) this tool. It will put your phone into a custom recovery mode that offers several other options that the normal one doesn't. Use your track pad or the volume up and down keys to move the cursor up and down. I believe the track pad selects... I could be wrong. One important one is the nandroid backup. I advise you to run it once you get into the recovery mode. What it does is backups your entire phone to your SD card and the same tool allows you to recovery the backup. Once backed up you can flash whatever ROM you've downloaded. To do this you need to have the downloaded ROM on your SD card. You'll need to wipe data and the cache and then use the "install zip from sdcard" option on the recovery menu. From there you should see "choose zip from SD", choose that, and select the desired ROM (zipped) and apply it. The same method applies to kernels as well, you can apply the kernel after you flash the ROM. Once everything is done you can reboot the device. Just press the power button to go back to the first menu and then select reboot from it.

You can download ROMs & kernels from HTC Droid Incredible ROMS

I hope I covered everything you wanted to know. If you have any other questions feel free to ask.