searching for gps

Last Updated:

1. MtnbikerChk

MtnbikerChk Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

URGH I'm so frustrated!

Navigation has been working great since I got the phone in November. Starting yesterday the phone gets stuck on "SEARCHING FOR GPS." It's so odd - because it goes through the whole FROM, TO and even gives me the summary - 5.2 miles to destination etc.

Then it can't find the gps?! I've tried pulling the battery and uninstalling the last App I installed (which was handscent sms)

could an app update have killed it?
    I think Yelp & Astro Manager recently had updates.....

Advertisement
  2. dougwilson2000

dougwilson2000 Well-Known Member

This might sound silly, I catch myself doing it, but is your physical keyboard closed? GPS has never worked with keyboard open. I use the physical keyboard a lot and sometimes forget at first to close it in order to use the GPS.
    Other than that, uninstall maps and then re install maps.

3. MtnbikerChk

MtnbikerChk Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

well I unisntalled Yelp and it worked today?!

I'll try again tomorrow to see if it was a fluke or not. odd

Thanks Doug - redoing maps is my next step!

4. steakneggs

steakneggs Member

I am having this problem too, Google Maps knows where I am just fine, and it does show the distance to my destination. It just sits there searching for GPS forever.

Annoying because I the main reason I got the droid was for nav as I travel a lot.

5. dren

dren Well-Known Member

Ditto! I also have this problem. Usually if I exit out of the navigation and redo the entire process it works. As of late, though, it hasn't been working and I haven't been able to use navigation at all.

6. tmcewan259

tmcewan259 Well-Known Member

Ok this may sound like a stupid question but how do you uninstall maps? I searched under remove apps and don't see it. Like to try this fix just don't know what I am missing?

7. Lock-N-Load

Lock-N-Load Well-Known Member

I use "GPS Test" to verify the strength and # of satellites found

8. bills534

bills534 Well-Known Member

This happens to me more often than I care for. its really annoying when you're on the road and have to find directions quickly and the stupid gps goes on the fritz. The only way Ive been able to fix it other than waiting a few hours to try again is to restart the phone. I would estimate it get stuck in the searching for gps loop 20% of the time I go to use it, and every time after a reboot it works immediately when opening the map application.

9. Spike760

Spike760 Well-Known Member

This just happened to me for the first time the other day. I was taking a trip with my girlfriend to Hollywood, and I was using the GPS, and when we were leaving it said "Searching for GPS..." and after waiting for a few minutes it did finally find it. But on our way back it just kept saying "Searching for GPS...". It almost got us lost in East LA though, so that sucked. Luckily I was able to just back track and get us home safely.

But does anyone know the reason it does this?

I don't use my GPS that much, so I don't know if it's the 2.1 update or an application I installed. I install a lot, so I don't know which one it was before it stopped working. D:

10. Berry Convert

Berry Convert Member

I live in a more rural area and this happens to me sometimes as well. It takes a couple minutes but it always finds the sattelite and connects. It's taken up to 5 minutes but it always connects. Just my .02 worth

11. Spike760

Spike760 Well-Known Member

That would've been nice, I had mine searching for GPS for about an hour. It never found it. Is it an application interfering?