• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

searching for gps

MtnbikerChk

Android Enthusiast
Nov 23, 2009
URGH I'm so frustrated!

Navigation has been working great since I got the phone in November. Starting yesterday the phone gets stuck on "SEARCHING FOR GPS." It's so odd - because it goes through the whole FROM, TO and even gives me the summary - 5.2 miles to destination etc.

Then it can't find the gps?! I've tried pulling the battery and uninstalling the last App I installed (which was handscent sms)

could an app update have killed it?
I think Yelp & Astro Manager recently had updates.....

This happens to me more often than I care for. its really annoying when you're on the road and have to find directions quickly and the stupid gps goes on the fritz. The only way Ive been able to fix it other than waiting a few hours to try again is to restart the phone. I would estimate it get stuck in the searching for gps loop 20% of the time I go to use it, and every time after a reboot it works immediately when opening the map application.

Upvote 0
This just happened to me for the first time the other day. I was taking a trip with my girlfriend to Hollywood, and I was using the GPS, and when we were leaving it said "Searching for GPS..." and after waiting for a few minutes it did finally find it. But on our way back it just kept saying "Searching for GPS...". It almost got us lost in East LA though, so that sucked. Luckily I was able to just back track and get us home safely.

But does anyone know the reason it does this?

I don't use my GPS that much, so I don't know if it's the 2.1 update or an application I installed. I install a lot, so I don't know which one it was before it stopped working. D:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones