"Searching for GPS"Support

1. g_patrick15

g_patrick15 Well-Known Member

Ever since I got my Nexus 4, there has been a consistent "searching for GPS" message in my notification shade. It's annoying, especially since I have generally kept GPS on with every Android phone I've had, and that message was never there unless I had just turned on GPS. It usually went away as soon as it took on the signal. Any way to get rid of this message without actually turning off GPS?

Advertisement
  2. MartinS

MartinS Well-Known Member

What happens when you swipe it?
  3. g_patrick15

g_patrick15 Well-Known Member

It moves sideways, but bounces back and stays put. Every now and then it disappears, but it always comes back.
  4. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum Moderator

Two quick questions, are able to get a GPS lock at all? And what location-enabled apps are you using?
  5. mttfrog13

mttfrog13 Well-Known Member

I experienced a similar situation as the OP. Basically, there was a persistent alert in the notification bar saying that I can't get a gps lock when I'm not actually even using the maps app. The maps app may have been running in the background though.

What happened is that I navigated somewhere (a great little bbq place) and when I got there I exited navigation, so the navigation wasn't actually trying to get me anywhere, but I'm sure the maps app was still running in the background. While enjoying rotisserie chicken, chili, cornbread and one of my homebrewed stouts (the place was byob), I guess I lost the gps signal and the notification came up that said searching for gps signal. Normally this is the type of notification I would only get if I were actually trying to navigate or use the maps application I guess. I fixed it by turning off the gps which I would've done anyway to conserve the battery.

I tried replicating this issue, but I'm able to get a gps lock inside my house down to about 1m. Man this is so much better than my old gnex. I feel sorry for the guy who bought it from me.
  6. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum Moderator

I came from an SGS2 and Samsung has a reputation for terrible gps antennas so the fact that I get a gps lock just about everywhere makes me giggle.
    Rxpert83 likes this.