second phone still has screen orientation quirkSupport

Last Updated:

1. sitlet

sitlet Banned This Topic's Starter

I've had an evo since launch day, but the first one I got had a problem, and it was switched out. Every since the froyo update, the phone will randomly switch to landscape view, even though I am almost always holding the phone in portrait view. It seems to happen most often if I drag the notification bar to receive a text or email. When I click on the text or email, it opens the text/email app, but it opens in landscape view. And I literally have to hold the phone in portrait view, and shake it like crazy to get back to portrait view. I tried the g-sensor calibrate many times and it didnt help. I also tried a hard reset, and that didnt help either. I did root the phone a few weeks ago, just to get wireless tether. I was still using the stock htc sense rom. This didnt help or hurt the problem.

Sprint decided to replace it a few weeks ago, stating the accelerometer was messed up. I just got a brand new in the box evo yesterday. It seemed to be working properly, so I rooted with unrevoked, still keeping the stock rom. I started re-installing all my apps, and noticed the same problem happened again. It doesnt happen that often, maybe 30% of the time, where the last phone would do it about 80% of the time.

I dont think this has anything to do with the root, as many people have rooted and not had this problem. And the last phone did it even before the root.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I highly doubt two brand new phones have the exact same problem.

Advertisement
  2. Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed Well-Known Member

I have had the problem too...but I am on phone 3. I didn't notice the issue until 2.2

and still haven't found the trigger or fix :(

3. sitlet

sitlet Banned This Topic's Starter

Hmmm, well glad to know someone else has this problem. Are you rooted? Custom rom or stock?

4. Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed Well-Known Member

rooted with the info in my sig. still there. i dloaded htc calibrate and run the gsensor cal about once a week on both. it helps...but pulling from my holster to hand results in the laggy oreintation swap every time/ same goes for laying the phone down on the nightstand and then picking it up. it gets worse as time before calibration progresses