Second thoughts?

Last Updated:

1. RichardinNC

RichardinNC New Member This Topic's Starter

Hi everyone: I appreciate your encouragement for new users.

Here's the question - My wife and I went to Samsung i760's about 2 years ago. I installed SPB Mobile Shell on both but she ended up hating the phone. We upgraded her to LG Env3 and she is now happy.

We originally wanted phones with keyboards so we could text with greater ease than with a flip phone keyboard.

I now have upgraded my phone to LG Ally that should be here tomorrow. We do not do much "social networking" or internet browsing and, since Verizon now has restructured their phone categories, the Ally seemed like a reasonable choice.

After reading some comments on the internet I'm wondering if I need to send it back for a Droid device with more capability. The only area of use that I can see expanding for me is networking and exchanging info. with church members. I am unpaid staff with an area of ministry that I oversee for our church. I may also start my own ministry with a website for it.

Thanks for any thoughts or suggestions.

Best regards to all, Richard

Advertisement
  2. motorsport226

motorsport226 Well-Known Member

The Ally is a very capable phone IF it is rooted and has either a custom ROM installed, the bloatware removed from the stock ROM, and/or a custom kernel with overclocking capabilities. All of these things have brought out so much potential in this device, and we are fortunate to have a handful of dedicated developers that continue to make this phone better.

The forum member drellisdee has ported the JIT compiler from froyo for use on the Ally, as well as custom kernel that supports overclocking. Members Trident and killertonez have developed custom ROMs that greatly improve the Ally.

I've always been a fan of LG handsets, my env2 lasted the full two years without missing a beat, but I did feel a little disappointed with the Ally at first. After switching over to the root side of things I have no complaints, my phone is faster than a 2.1 Nexus One, has a great keyboard and great battery life (for a smartphone :p).

So I would stick with it, give it a shot. It should be perfect for what you need it to do. Is it an Incredible or Droid X? No. Is it a respectable and solid phone in it's own right? Absolutely.

3. swc2001

swc2001 Well-Known Member

Well My oppinion is that the only two things better about the Droid 2 is the camera is 5 mega pixels instead of 3.2 mega pixels and it already has Froyo 2.2 (which we have been told we are going to recieve in the future.) So The Droid can do flash 10.1 capabilities now where as the Ally can not yet.
    Heres the pluses for the Ally the slide out keyboard is WAY better and more friendly for texters and general use on the phone. For instance the Droid and Droid 2 make it where you must press shift to be able to input any numbers. LAME!! The Ally has been tested and played with by Drellisdee Trident killertonez and many more who have given the Ally so much power its not even funny. With their Roms and their Turbo4 OC they have attained speeds up to 8.9 Mflops.... Thats fast by the way. Makes our 600mhz out perform the Droid 2's 1ghz processor. Our back up system by Drellisdee is second to none.

If i had to choose between the two phones today.... hands down I would choose the LG Ally. The only phone I would choose over it right now would be the Droid X or the new samsung. But neither of those have my slide out keyboard which I would miss but they have HUGE honking screens though.

Thankyou Devs for making this possible.
    Drellisdee, Trident, Killertonez, Savoix, Vmanisme, Dots, Death2all110 and whoever I have missed.:D

If any of my info is incorrect please anyone feel free to correct me.
    Thanks
    Steve

4. RichardinNC

RichardinNC New Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks for your help.

One thing that I've heard is that the Ally can not send the same text msg to a group of recipients. Do you know if this is true? Our cell phone needs are really basic - we use them as a tool for certain tasks. Same thing for out PC needs - not gamers or hobbyists - just basic functions.

Thanks - Hope everyone is having a good day.

5. motorsport226

motorsport226 Well-Known Member

Not sure where you heard that. I use the Handcent SMS app and I can send batch messages flawlessly.

6. darkxsun

darkxsun Well-Known Member

Batch messages work in the stock messages app too.