second update for pandora? beware...

Last Updated:

1. digdug1

digdug1 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

i updated pandora to 1.4 yesterday then this morning i had another update notification so i updated once again. then the commercials started:( it isnt often but still... it freezes my widget. sometimes the music stops so i press skip on my widget and it says "commercials cannot be skipped"! but dosent play the commercial either so i have to reboot tha app. i would think twice before updating lol. anyone else having this problem?

it should be noted i have the free version of pandora.

Advertisement
  2. corbinator

corbinator Well-Known Member

I used to have pandora but I didn't like how much cache it took up when it was running. Constantly had to clear the cache. I use Slacker mostly now, so when I heard all the griping about the updates, I just installed it. Still use it at home thou.

3. TharOosta

TharOosta Well-Known Member

I made the mistake of updating also. What the H? Pandora really screw the pooch on this one.

4. digdug1

i may go back to slacker i liked it better except for the commercials

5. digdug1

it should also be noted that i recieved an additional update after going to 1.4. pandora is set to update automatically on my phone. i wonder does the paid version does this as well?

DOOOH: why didnt i think of this earlier? i used titanium backup to restore pandora 1.3 on my phone! no more commercials! no more updates either:)

6. sranger

sranger Well-Known Member

Pandora has always had comercials. They may have increased the frequency, but they were always there in the free version. $36.00 / year gets you higher quality ( wifi only ) and no commercials.....

7. digdug1

pandora has always had ads that run on the bottom of the screen. never before have i had an audible commercial. now that i restored back to 1.3, no more commercials!

8. athflying

athflying Well-Known Member

Wifi only??? Don't think that setting is contigent on Wi Fi.

9. Highland Ranger

Highland Ranger Well-Known Member

I think the latest one asked for permission to you contacts to enable a recommendations feature.

10. ChiefIlliniwek5

ChiefIlliniwek5 Well-Known Member

Another problem with the new version is that rather than pausing and re-starting during Google Navigation audible directions, instead Pandora just stops altogether and you have to manually hit play to get it back going again. Before the update the Pandora music would always pause while the Google Navigation spoke directions and then when Nav was done, Pandora would come back on. ???? Anyone else have this problem?

11. sranger

sranger Well-Known Member

Actually, the 1.4 version fixed that problem on my phone....

12. ChiefIlliniwek5

ChiefIlliniwek5 Well-Known Member

I just checked and I have the 1.4 version and it still doesn't fix this problem on my phone....running Droid 2.2 FRG01B (pushed update)

13. muab

muab Well-Known Member

Pandora is choking all week since I updated. I am still waiting for the OTA bump to 2.2 and waiting and waiting.
    But, this new update on Pandora seems to have totally hosed me. It is doing the weirdest things now. It will play 3-4 songs then stop. If I don't mess with it in 4-5 minutes it starts playing a song again. Sometimes when I power down my screen like I always do, it ends the song or starts another song.
    It has never done any of this before the update to Pandora.
    Mine says "version 9" under the application settings.

14. snapcase

snapcase Well-Known Member

Yeah no chance in hell I'll update for commercials. It's a bunch of bs.

15. 3devious

3devious Well-Known Member

Guess it's time to reactivate my XM app.

16. qwer777

qwer777 Active Member

what app do you use?

17. VIO

VIO Well-Known Member

Ok not to try and start a fight but really? Pandora commercials are like once every hour or so, which is nothing compared to TV, or normal radio.

Honestly It is a FREE service that creates customized music radio to my tastes then streams it at impressive quality to my computer/phone, and it does a great job at that. If anything deserved to advertise every once and a while it would be Pandora

It has a fraction of the commercial air time that normal radio does, WITHOUT sacrificing service, quality, or product. In fact it is better in most cases than normal radio. Honestly, if they need to advertise more to keep this service going, go for it. If you are really that annoyed by it why not go pro? People just want a high quality free service and don't think that is unreasonable?

18. 3devious

3devious Well-Known Member

That would be reasonable if it were a high quality service. If it didn't disconnect all the time and start force closing with the new version, I would subscribe but the subscription doesn't get me a stable client, so I'm not even bothering with the free mess. The ads don't make it suck, the random disconnects and their small library do, though.

Qwer777, the XM app is available from their website. It's kind of like the iPhone version in that you have to have a subscription after a week. I've had lifetime XM for years, so it costs the same as Pandora for me but doesn't have a craptacular client.

The SiriusXM client isn't that good, but it's a lot less hassle for me than the free Pandora.

19. G.Armour

G.Armour You know you want to. VIP Member

Glad to know this, I won't update for commercials.

20. digdug1

i think we are all familiar with what pandora is and does, but
    like i first said in this threads beginning, the problem with the commercials is that it makes my widget screw up! the whole point of my thread was that the update in general is subpar. the commercials screw up my widget causing me to stop what ever i am doing at work and restart the app because it becomes unresponsive. so in this case yes the commercials SUCK! so the whole "without sacrrficing quality part" is compromised by 1.4.

21. VIO

VIO Well-Known Member

Very fair, I was really only refering to people complaining about commercials because they were there.

Performance and stability issues are a different thing completely, more then a good reason to talk about the quality of an update.

A bit more on topic, I am really starting to get annoyed at these big name apps (facebook is the same) that don't keep change logs. Seems like such a simple thing that everyone else manages to do...