• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

second update for pandora? beware...

digdug1

Android Expert
Apr 27, 2010
i updated pandora to 1.4 yesterday then this morning i had another update notification so i updated once again. then the commercials started:( it isnt often but still... it freezes my widget. sometimes the music stops so i press skip on my widget and it says "commercials cannot be skipped"! but dosent play the commercial either so i have to reboot tha app. i would think twice before updating lol. anyone else having this problem?

it should be noted i have the free version of pandora.

it should also be noted that i recieved an additional update after going to 1.4. pandora is set to update automatically on my phone. i wonder does the paid version does this as well?

DOOOH: why didnt i think of this earlier? i used titanium backup to restore pandora 1.3 on my phone! no more commercials! no more updates either:)

Upvote 0
Another problem with the new version is that rather than pausing and re-starting during Google Navigation audible directions, instead Pandora just stops altogether and you have to manually hit play to get it back going again. Before the update the Pandora music would always pause while the Google Navigation spoke directions and then when Nav was done, Pandora would come back on. ???? Anyone else have this problem?

Upvote 0
Another problem with the new version is that rather than pausing and re-starting during Google Navigation audible directions, instead Pandora just stops altogether and you have to manually hit play to get it back going again. Before the update the Pandora music would always pause while the Google Navigation spoke directions and then when Nav was done, Pandora would come back on. ???? Anyone else have this problem?

Actually, the 1.4 version fixed that problem on my phone....

Upvote 0
Pandora is choking all week since I updated. I am still waiting for the OTA bump to 2.2 and waiting and waiting.
But, this new update on Pandora seems to have totally hosed me. It is doing the weirdest things now. It will play 3-4 songs then stop. If I don't mess with it in 4-5 minutes it starts playing a song again. Sometimes when I power down my screen like I always do, it ends the song or starts another song.
It has never done any of this before the update to Pandora.
Mine says "version 9" under the application settings.

Upvote 0
Ok not to try and start a fight but really? Pandora commercials are like once every hour or so, which is nothing compared to TV, or normal radio.

Honestly It is a FREE service that creates customized music radio to my tastes then streams it at impressive quality to my computer/phone, and it does a great job at that. If anything deserved to advertise every once and a while it would be Pandora

It has a fraction of the commercial air time that normal radio does, WITHOUT sacrificing service, quality, or product. In fact it is better in most cases than normal radio. Honestly, if they need to advertise more to keep this service going, go for it. If you are really that annoyed by it why not go pro? People just want a high quality free service and don't think that is unreasonable?

Upvote 0
That would be reasonable if it were a high quality service. If it didn't disconnect all the time and start force closing with the new version, I would subscribe but the subscription doesn't get me a stable client, so I'm not even bothering with the free mess. The ads don't make it suck, the random disconnects and their small library do, though.

Qwer777, the XM app is available from their website. It's kind of like the iPhone version in that you have to have a subscription after a week. I've had lifetime XM for years, so it costs the same as Pandora for me but doesn't have a craptacular client.

The SiriusXM client isn't that good, but it's a lot less hassle for me than the free Pandora.

Upvote 0
Ok not to try and start a fight but really? Pandora commercials are like once every hour or so, which is nothing compared to TV, or normal radio.

Honestly It is a FREE service that creates customized music radio to my tastes then streams it at impressive quality to my computer/phone, and it does a great job at that. If anything deserved to advertise every once and a while it would be Pandora

It has a fraction of the commercial air time that normal radio does, WITHOUT sacrificing service, quality, or product. In fact it is better in most cases than normal radio. Honestly, if they need to advertise more to keep this service going, go for it. If you are really that annoyed by it why not go pro? People just want a high quality free service and don't think that is unreasonable?

i think we are all familiar with what pandora is and does, but
like i first said in this threads beginning, the problem with the commercials is that it makes my widget screw up! the whole point of my thread was that the update in general is subpar. the commercials screw up my widget causing me to stop what ever i am doing at work and restart the app because it becomes unresponsive. so in this case yes the commercials SUCK! so the whole "without sacrrficing quality part" is compromised by 1.4.

Upvote 0
i think we are all familiar with what pandora is and does, but
like i first said in this threads beginning, the problem with the commercials is that it makes my widget screw up! the whole point of my thread was that the update in general is subpar. the commercials screw up my widget causing me to stop what ever i am doing at work and restart the app because it becomes unresponsive. so in this case yes the commercials SUCK! so the whole "without sacrrficing quality part" is compromised by 1.4.

Very fair, I was really only refering to people complaining about commercials because they were there.

Performance and stability issues are a different thing completely, more then a good reason to talk about the quality of an update.

A bit more on topic, I am really starting to get annoyed at these big name apps (facebook is the same) that don't keep change logs. Seems like such a simple thing that everyone else manages to do...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones