• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Secret Codes, 3g Lock, Built Day & time, firmware, GPS test, and more!

your right, You better be in a very dry climate to try this, but its still not a good idea.

sorry for the bad suggestion:D

you know what i'd like to try or see someone do, is cool the processor using liqued nitrogen, overclock the hell out of this phone, and run some benchmarks and have this phone labeled the fastest phone in the world.
even though it is already the fastest android in the states, and probably the world!

Upvote 0
Very useful list. Codes work on my Captivate.

However, setting it to WCDMA (I checked and triple checked that it was on WCDMA) didn't keep it on 3G. It bounced to EDGE a few times when the signal got low. Even tried turning off the radio (via airplane mode) and turning it back on didn't help as it would lock on to EDGE again. I just have to leave it and it'll automatically revert back to 3G.

BTW, I usually get between 2 and 3 bars of 3G in my house. Unfortunately when I use the phone with both hands such as during email or texting the signal will drop down to 1 bar or less and that is when I get kicked over to EDGE.

Upvote 0
Very useful list. Codes work on my Captivate.

However, setting it to WCDMA (I checked and triple checked that it was on WCDMA) didn't keep it on 3G. It bounced to EDGE a few times when the signal got low. Even tried turning off the radio (via airplane mode) and turning it back on didn't help as it would lock on to EDGE again. I just have to leave it and it'll automatically revert back to 3G.

BTW, I usually get between 2 and 3 bars of 3G in my house. Unfortunately when I use the phone with both hands such as during email or texting the signal will drop down to 1 bar or less and that is when I get kicked over to EDGE.

The 3g lock works on the vibrant, maybe not on the captivate. did you follow my instructions exactly?

Upvote 0
The 3g lock works on the vibrant, maybe not on the captivate. did you follow my instructions exactly?
I didn't follow your instructions as I found it somewhere else and was able to select WCDMA, etc. The instructions I found had me type in *#*# INFO (4636) #*#*. I didn't notice your code was different on first read.

I just tried your way and I get the message "RAT selection option is restricted!" and can't proceed to the next steps. Seems AT&T locked me out or something.

Weird that I can select WCDMA via the "INFO" code but it doesn't stay on 3G. Can you punch in the "INFO" code and tell me what yours say? Is it on WCDMA as well?

Upvote 0
I didn't follow your instructions as I found it somewhere else and was able to select WCDMA, etc. The instructions I found had me type in *#*# INFO (4636) #*#*. I didn't notice your code was different on first read.

I just tried your way and I get the message "RAT selection option is restricted!" and can't proceed to the next steps. Seems AT&T locked me out or something.

Weird that I can select WCDMA via the "INFO" code but it doesn't stay on 3G. Can you punch in the "INFO" code and tell me what yours say? Is it on WCDMA as well?

Dear Android_J, please read my posting about the secret codes again. In there I have already stated that people who try to set the phone to WCDMA using the "info" code will find that the phone reverts back to edge/3g dual mode once you exit the screen, using that method does not stick, other online posts clearly have it wrong, you can't make the 3g lock using the info method. It only sticks using the method I found. Again, try reading it again, and follow my directions exactly, maybe you are overlooking stuff, you might be reading it too fast. Again, I already stated the WCDMA will not stick if you try doing it through the info code. Hopefully, att didn't totally prevent you from using my 3g lock method. If you run into problems, or don't understand my instructions, private message me, i'll try to walk you through it.

Upvote 0
I just tried your way again. I can only get as far as shown below:

Dial: *#*#197328640#*#*
Click [1] debug screen

Click [8] phone control

Click [7] network control

Click [2] band selection
<--- can't proceed beyond here and it tells me "RAT selection option is restricted!"

BTW, I *can* get WCDMA to stick by using the INFO code. After selecting WCDMA, I press home (not back) and it seems to stick when I go back in and check. But it'll still kick me to EDGE...

Upvote 0

Click [1] debug screen
Click [8] phone control
Click [2] band selection <--- can't proceed beyond here and it tells me "RAT selection option is restricted!"

BTW, I *can* get WCDMA to stick by using the INFO code. After selecting WCDMA, I press home (not back) and it seems to stick when I go back in and check. But it'll still kick me to EDGE...

yikes, wonder why the captivate says that. Seems like at&t wants to control your speed and prevents your from locking onto 3G.

You know, I really have a problem with this. When a company advertises its data plans, they give the impression the price you pay is for 3G service. Clearly, even when 3G is available, both t-mobie and at&t phones are picking up edge over 3G. This should spark some kind of class action lawsuit. Clearly it benefits the carrier to have phones using edge over 3G, however it doesn't benefit the consumer. You shouldn't advertise as having the fastest 3G network, when you design phones to prefer edge signals over 3G.

Most of the time my vibrant runs on edge, then if I lock it onto 3G, I still get a signal and it works perfect and fast, so why is my phone always on edge t-mobile, why!

Upvote 0

Click [1] debug screen
Click [8] phone control
Click [2] band selection <--- can't proceed beyond here and it tells me "RAT selection option is restricted!"

I figured out a solution to your "rat" problem!!!!!!!!!!!

Upvote 0
Same here... Same date and time. They must make more than one phone a second! Lol.

actually that is probably the software build date and time.

more interestingly, if you use this dial code:
*#*#4986*2650468#*#*

it gives you a call date, that date matches the sticker date on my box.

not really sure what a call date is, but ya anyway, it matches the date on the box.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones