• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

secrets about the android phones

Status
Not open for further replies.
They are amongst us .soon they will overthrow us and push humanity to eternal slavery .they are led by R Daneel Olivaw who has a positonic heart ,model no. 23ADE .he is also known as the eternal android .
What humanity needs is the secret date of instigation so that we can run .... i mean fight back

Upvote 0
They are amongst us .soon they will overthrow us and push humanity to eternal slavery .they are led by R Daneel Olivaw who has a positonic heart ,model no. 23ADE .he is also known as the eternal android .
What humanity needs is the secret date of instigation so that we can run .... i mean fight back

That's what I've been telling everyone! Luckily I get wifi in tthis padded room :)

Upvote 0

This is on snopes.com

Upvote 0
With open source, as the Android (Linux) OS is, any "secrets" are readily exposed.

Some of the additional components of Android are proprietary(closed source) though aren't they?

Namely the Google specific apps, like Gmail, Gtalk and Market. Because I know when one installs say CyanogenMod, which is completely open source, one has to add the Google specific stuff as a separate add-on. Same with anything a manufacturer might add to Android, e.g. Samsung's Touchwiz or HTC's Sense.

There was one secret in HTC's Android phones which got exposed recently:
http://www.electronista.com/articles/11/09/01/htc.may.be.tracking.imei.more.user.behavior/
A detailed examination of HTC's more recent Android 2.3.4 update has raised alarms that it might be tracking far more information about individual phones and users than it has before or should. A new tool that runs in RAM, Carrier IQ, is creating logs of data both on what apps and other commands they used as well as how long they spent in each area. HTC's own terms, as checked by InfectedROM, suggest it's not only forwarding over location and carrier information but statistics and the IMEI number, figures that could be attached to a particular phone or even individual user.

The behavior information is being uploaded by a reporting agent in the code to Amazon's cloud storage service, which wouldn't be used by Google itself.

Devs here and at XDA revel in those "secrets." ;)

Probably like CyanogenMod, they're only dealing with the open source aspects of Android.

Although Android is open source, much of it is under BSD and Apache type licenses. Which means there is no obligation to reveal source code and modifications, unlike the GPL'd Linux kernel component of Android. For more info about this .. go Settings > About phone > Legal information > Open source licenses.

Upvote 0
Apps aren't Android OS. They're products, some free some paid of course, which Android uses.

The (mostly junk, to me) apps locked into the system, rather disease like, can be "rooted out," too. ;)

As an aside, it always struck me as interesting that the Android project, based on Linux, was jumped on by agencies who want to lock in their products.. reminds me of the proprietary bloat included in Windows based computers.

But yes, open source has its limits. I doubt though that the person I was responding to is referring to the Android OS wrt "secrets."

Maybe. lol ..

Upvote 0
No need to explain:

276415832.png
;)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones