• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Secure browsing problem

reventon

Nov 30, 2010
I got Captivate yesterday and ever since i am facing trouble with wi-fi.

First, i had problems connecting to my home network. I restarted the phone and wi-fi started working fine. Now at school, its not allowing me to open any webpages to browse.

it connects to my school's network just fine. IP is also generated. Tried rebooting but issue is not solved.

Any advice?

@EarlyMon - i checked again and the issue is still not fixed. i used wi-fi fixer too as suggested by Copronymous.

Could it be that the device is defective? But then it connects to all other wi-fi's just fine.

In my school, whenever i connect, it says certificate is invalid. i press continue and i get a prompt saying unable to contact server. please try again later. could the certificate be an issue? I don't have such problem with iphone 3g, 4, htc fuze.

in wifi analyzer, it shows which channel is the best, but the option to connect to that channel is not there. i get like 5-7 network listed, like the name of wifi is SacLink, so it will show 5-7 options with different channel and then it will say the best is 13,14 but connects to 11. What to do in that case?

Wi-fi fixer doesn't seem to do anything on my captivate apart from searching better networks all the time. i keep it active but no luck. i restarted the phone after installing the app. but it won't even take me to the view certificate error. the browser gets stuck at initial 25% green bar above the address bar.

any pointers? i rooted the phone using unleash the beast if that helps.

the last option for me would be to go for froyo 2.2.

Upvote 0
I don't know that Froyo will help unless your rom is somehow defective...

I looked up the Captivate user guide - I don't have one, so help me out here:
(windows-thingy button on the Home Page)-> Wireless and network -> Wifi settings

When I get to the similar page on my Evo, I can see status that will briefly tell me what network I'm on and (if the connection is successful) tell me that I've been assigned an IP address.

1. Do you get any similar status there, and if so, what does it say?
  2. Your remark about a certificate intrigues me - that should be at some application layer, not at the wifi layer - could you describe that part a little for me?

Upvote 0
I don't know that Froyo will help unless your rom is somehow defective...

I looked up the Captivate user guide - I don't have one, so help me out here:
(windows-thingy button on the Home Page)-> Wireless and network -> Wifi settings

When I get to the similar page on my Evo, I can see status that will briefly tell me what network I'm on and (if the connection is successful) tell me that I've been assigned an IP address.

1. Do you get any similar status there, and if so, what does it say?
  2. Your remark about a certificate intrigues me - that should be at some application layer, not at the wifi layer - could you describe that part a little for me?

1. The wifi settings shows following info
speed: 48mpbs
signal strength: excellent
ip address: 192.xxx.x.xx

2. when i connect to network - saclink, the first option wi-fi says connecting to saclink then it goes to acquiring IP address for saclink, IP address acquired and then it says connected.
below that there is wi-fi networks and if i click on saclink, i get the above information. showing option of forget or cancel if i am already connected.

3. basically, my school has a login page as soon as i try to open a webpage. say i open google, it will first redirect me to login page. but in this case, for the login page to appear, it give an error saying, the website certificate is not recognized and it is unsafe to continue.
it gives three options - continue , view certificate and cancel.
if you click continue, its supposed to take to login page where i enter in my user id and password. but in captivate, there is no action ahead and an error comes up saying 'cannot connect to server, please try again later'. even if i refresh nothing comes up'.

now sometimes what happens is if i open a website, it doesn't redirect me. instead i get following message

'web page not available'. the page 'www.google.com' might be temporarily down or it may have been moved permanently to new address.
here are some suggestions:
- check to make sure device has signal and data connection. (I made sure it is connected to wifi)
- reload page later. (i tried after 5 mins, same result)
- view cached copy from google. (doesn't work either)

Sorry for long post. tried to explain in detail as much as i can.

Upvote 0
No, no - that's very helpful.

Good news! You're not having a wifi problem.

Bad news! You're having another woe entirely.

I don't have a Captivate so we have different browsers - this seems either browser related or related to how your phone handles secure browsing.

I'll look around to see if I can find something for you - but probably first, I'm going to move these posts to either an existing thread or a new one with the right title to get you the attention you need from other Captivate users.

Bottom line - the hard part, basic networking, is fine and it's probably a configuration thing (read: a setting change somewhere might fix this for you).

Reactions: reventon
Upvote 0
Ok, I tried in three browsers, new one is dolphin.
Still the same error.
It says data connectivity error. Server not found, try again later.

I formatted befor testing.still no luck.

Don't know what settings to change.

I am facing same problem with my captivate, on my secure wifi connection status on captivate shows connected but no actual traffic through wifi. In addition to wifi problem blue tooth is not being recognize in my car after turning BT off and on from captivate phone shows paired nut not connected.

Any ideas or solution?

Upvote 0
You thought I forgot about you guys. :)

OK - it turns out there's a set of protocols called NTLM and some people still use it.

Today I finally severed the one emotional tie I still had with Windows Mobile.

Finally downloaded Firefox mobile for my Captivate, because it was supposed to support NTLM.

NTLM is an authentication protocol that is necessary for a browser to be able to connect to a Sharepoint site requiring authentication.

It works!

Bluetooth voice dialing
Wireless Access Point
Free Navigation
Can load my own ROM, rather than wait for carriers to provide upgrades
Sharepoint access

Perfect!

Mozilla.com | Mobile

Best luck, hope this works.

(Not sure about the paired but not connected Buetooth issue - maybe somebuddy else can help with that.)

Reactions: reventon
Upvote 0
You thought I forgot about you guys. :)

OK - it turns out there's a set of protocols called NTLM and some people still use it.

Mozilla.com | Mobile

Best luck, hope this works.

(Not sure about the paired but not connected Buetooth issue - maybe somebuddy else can help with that.)

Thank you for the info, you are awesome. Well, i was out of states, so couldn't test it before. i faced similar problems at various airports and hotels while traveling.

i am gonna give it a shot today and hope to give you the answer in approx 12 hours. Thanks for your effort. I really appreciate it.

Upvote 0
Hello Mod, Sorry for late reply.

Here is what happened.

I installed mozilla and tried opening google.com. But still won't open. It gave error message saying check network connection or reload later. Then while it was sitting idle, it gave security error of invalid certificate. I clicked view certificate to just see what is up with this certificate. Then on the top it said verifying certificate. Then after a minute or two it changed to Certificate is valid for SSL libraries and stuff. Then i cancelled and went back to address bar. Thinking it won't work i closed firefox.

Then after sometime went to default browser and tried to open appbrain, lo and behold, it redirected me to my school's login page where i successfully logged in and was able to browse. I tried at regular interval after locking phone and still it would work.

So i guess finally it was successful in connecting to school wi-fi. I will be checking it again today to see if the problem is solved permanently or will it crop up today.

Bottomline: I am not sure if it was NTLM problem or not. But it was more about secured certificate which i guess was verified in detail through mozilla which other 3 browsers were unsuccessful at.

Thanks for your help. Also a big thanks to wavemaster for suggesting firefox to solve such problem.

You may close this thread or wait for me to update for final time later today to confirm the issue is resolved permanently.

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
@EarlyMon

Since this problem was resolved, i have been facing again an unique problem. Hope you can throw some light on it.

Here is what has happened.

If i enable wi-fi at my school and later on come at my job, the wi-fi at my job gets stuck at Obtaining IP address and then disconnects. It doesn't connect like it use to before. I have seen this problem come up after the school wi-fi was fixed. Could it be related?

In order to get it working, i have to use FXR wifi fix and rescue to solve the problem.

It gets tiresome to do almost every other night in order to get it working.

Any suggestions as to what is wrong?

Upvote 0
You're not alone, and it's not limited to your phone.

Whenever that happens a router reset tends to fix the problem - a pain in the neck sometimes, and nearly impossible when you don't control the router.

I've had both of my phones go thru this at home - a week or more of daily router resets - and then the problems cleared themselves up.

Once upon a time in unix, we could easily access and clear the hidden routing tables - modern routers try to put eye candy around everything to help the average Joe/Jane get their stuff working, but honestly, I think sometimes they help us right into the corner you're describing.

So - agree, this is tiresome, but the good news is that it might cure itself, and does seem router-related rather than your phone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones