• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Secure Email App

I'm looking for an Android email app which stores my email password encrypted on my phone. I've read that the default email app stores the password to my email account in plaintext. So I've been looking for a replacement email app that I could install. A paid app would be fine and it needs to encrypt my email account password. Encrypting my stored offline email messages would be a nice bonus too. Any suggestions?

Or has google fixed the default built-in email app to be more secure? I found issue 10809 on the google bug tracker about this issue, but I'm not certain if that is the only issue and if it was fixed. My phone runs Gingerbread Android 2.3.

Thanks.

If you have not rooted your phone (to allow users root access) passwords are not readable, plain text or not. IOW the password file is not accessible. This is really a non-issue and why the stock email client doesn't bother to encrypt passwords.

If you have rooted or want more security, search the Play Store for 'password'. Lotsa choices.

Rather than encrypting email, you could lock the email client with AppLocker or one of many similar apps.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones