• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Security Concerns

I just ended a 6 year relationship with a tech savvy guy, and he has been bringing up conversations I had on Google Talk and emails from my Gmail account. Is there any chance he could be keylogging my phone or tablet (both of which are Android)? Or could he be able to mirror what I do on my phone/tablet onto his PC?

Please help! I'm afraid he is going to begin to cause serious damage with my credit card and banking accounts if he is able to gain access to my new passwords. I don't have anyone who knows a lot about current tech and hacking capabilities I can ask.

Thank you in advance!

Change your passwords and make them strong (mix of upper case, lower case and numbers). After a long relationship, I'm sure he knows at least a few of them, if not all of them. If you suspect some sort of spyware, back up all your data on all your computers/phones/tablets and do a fresh system install using new logins and passwords.

Upvote 0
If I backup my information, can I potentially backup the spyware/malware as well? I plan on backing up pictures only...everything else can either be deleted or sent/stored in my Gmail account. I'm going to change passwords and login information after I make sure that everything is wiped. Myblaptop is probably where he gets/got everything but I'm not 100% sure so I wanted to take all the precautions. Thanks for the help! Any other tips or pointers would be greatly appreciated!

Upvote 0
If you are a boy kick his ass.
If you are a girl, kick his ass, install some spy sweeper on your laptop and it will find any installed keylogger and delete it (good ones are spy doctor, webroot spy sweeper...), and then kick his ass again and change all the passwords. And then call the cops.

Upvote 0
If I backup my information, can I potentially backup the spyware/malware as well?

You could potentially backup the app (.apk file) but it won't install itself without your permission.

I plan on backing up pictures only...everything else can either be deleted or sent/stored in my Gmail account. I'm going to change passwords and login information after I make sure that everything is wiped. My laptop is probably where he gets/got everything but I'm not 100% sure so I wanted to take all the precautions. Thanks for the help! Any other tips or pointers would be greatly appreciated!

Ignore him. If he harasses you, call the cops.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones