• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Security purposes

Successor

Jul 27, 2016
Hi Guys,

I have 8 inch 16GB SAMSUNG GALAXY TAB A and its model is SM-T350. It has Android 6.0.1 version.

* I want to delete any file or anything on my Tab more securely. I mean, such deleted ones should not be recovered by any app. What is the free best app for the purpose?

* I want to securely erase the contents or free space on a drive. What is the best free app available?

.*I have the above-mentioned Tab. It is a new one. What are the settings to be changed for highly security purposes?

Hi Guys,

I have 8 inch 16GB SAMSUNG GALAXY TAB A and its model is SM-T350. It has Android 6.0.1 version.

* I want to delete any file or anything on my Tab more securely. I mean, such deleted ones should not be recovered by any app. What is the free best app for the purpose?

* I want to securely erase the contents or free space on a drive. What is the best free app available?

.*I have the above-mentioned Tab. It is a new one. What are the settings to be changed for highly security purposes?
If you're thinking data written to your Tab's storage media is the same as how a data gets written to a conventional, spinning disk hard drive in a computer, it's not. A 'secure erase' for a NAND flash chip in your Tab would be functionally different. If file security is an absolute must perhaps you might want to focus on Android's Full Disk Encryption:
http://www.androidcentral.com/what-full-disk-encryption-android-lollipop

Upvote 0
If you're thinking data written to your Tab's storage media is the same as how a data gets written to a conventional, spinning disk hard drive in a computer, it's not. A 'secure erase' for a NAND flash chip in your Tab would be functionally different. If file security is an absolute must perhaps you might want to focus on Android's Full Disk Encryption:
http://www.androidcentral.com/what-full-disk-encryption-android-lollipop

Following on from this, if the device shipped with Marshmallow, it will have full disk encryption enabled straight out of the box.

Upvote 0
... and just to follow up on that ;-) just to elaborate on encrypted media, whatever personal data you've saved doesn't require any practical 'secure erase' as it's basically just gibberish. If a file recovery utility is able to retrieve any files, without your encryption password, they just exist as scrambled bits. (Well, unless it's an organization like our NSA trying to dig into your Tab, but that's a different matter.)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones