• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Security: Storing private files on the Phone SD card

magnus

Dec 8, 2009
Hi all,
Anyone know of a good way to store private documents on the phone SD?

I'm considering moving some of my documents to my phone SD....this is stuff that could potentially lead to ID theft if I ever lose my phone

So I was wondering if there's any way to password protect / encrypt folders on the SD card.

If I lost my phone.....I don't want a thief accessing documents in that folder. So it would have to work against him reading files off a card reader on a regular computer as well

While we're at it.....between Mobile defense, Lookout and Wave secure, can any of them wipe the SD card remotely?

Thanks

you just want to STORE the files on your phone or you also want to be able to view them on your phone?

if you just want to store them (although i can't imagine why, except maybe to avoid carrying a seperate flash drive?), you could use truecrypt to create an encrypted "container", which can then be moved on and off your sd card at will. but you would not be able to actually decrypt the files via your phone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones