• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

security update workflow

linuzzz

Lurker
Jun 21, 2011
Hi all,

I have a doubt related to the security update procedures in the android "ecosystem"...let's suppose that a bug is discovered in a google application (gmail, calendar...) and that google will fix it "immediately". When I will receive this update? Should I wait for an update from my mobile manufacturer, or maybe from my carrier? How can I verify if the running application is the "latest one" with this security bug fixed or not?

I'm asking this thinking at the problem of the auth token transmitted in clear for some application, gcalendar for example, I know that google fixed it but I don't know how can I verify if my phone received this fix.

many thanks
Paolo

I have a doubt related to the security update procedures in the android "ecosystem"...let's suppose that a bug is discovered in a google application (gmail, calendar...) and that google will fix it "immediately". When I will receive this update? Should I wait for an update from my mobile manufacturer, or maybe from my carrier? How can I verify if the running application is the "latest one" with this security bug fixed or not?
Gmail's an app and is updated via the Market. You can compare the installed version to the version on the Market.

Calendar is part of the OS (or UI, depending on device). OS updates generally go through the carrier. The Nexus line, IIRC, is different in that they receive updates directly.

Upvote 0
Gmail's an app and is updated via the Market. You can compare the installed version to the version on the Market.

Calendar is part of the OS (or UI, depending on device). OS updates generally go through the carrier. The Nexus line, IIRC, is different in that they receive updates directly.

so, also if google suddenly fix a vulnerability this is not enough for the final user?
I think that google/manufacturers/carriers should work togheter to guarantee the final user, security will be even more critical for android success in next years...what do You think about it?

I didn't receive any update from my carrier, so I suppose I'm still running an old version...

many thanks
Paolo

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones