• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Jpags

Sep 23, 2010
After reading about the android not needing a task killer, since its linux based and it could make it worse, I got rid of it. Would this be true for security apps, such as firewalls and virus protection, are the really needed I could understand the one that helps find your phone. I have lookout installed and it says it does a virus check after an app is installed.

After reading about the android not needing a task killer, since its linux based and it could make it worse, I got rid of it. Would this be true for security apps, such as firewalls and virus protection, are the really needed I could understand the one that helps find your phone. I have lookout installed and it says it does a virus check after an app is installed.

there is no need for an anti-virus program on an android phone, despite what some people say. there are very few android viruses out there now, and unless your d/l ing random files you find from untrusted sources on the net you ll be fine.

Upvote 0
I agree, an actual antivirus program is unneeded - the best antivirus (and other unfun programs) is your common sense. There's an article I like [here] that goes through various permissions an app can have, what risks they are, and how to spot when something's amiss. I also recommend never auto-updating apps, and before each update, look through the Market comments to see if there are any complaints.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones