• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Security

xguy

Android Enthusiast
Oct 4, 2010
There has been viruses attacking smart phones on the news lately and most has been in the eastern hemisphere. I have thought about Lookout, but understand they track you and one person had trouble with his phone after downloading.

I've done a search here and and have come to the conclusion to be aware of the apps I download. I have htc inc. and have the factory apps except for a few I downloaded.

They are: Gas buddy, Msn gas prices, Magnifying Glass, YouVersion the bible app, The weather channel, Flashlight, Barcode scanner, Google shopper.

If I should be concerned with any of these apps, pls let me know and also your take on the need for security apps.

Thanks in advance! :)

So-called "security" apps don't really protect you. Common sense does. More details here:
http://androidforums.com/android-ap...explained-security-tips-avoiding-malware.html

Also, no viruses have been attacking phones. Some malware writers have created malicious apps and put them on the Market, and some undiscerning users have chosen to actively install said apps on their phone before Google has a chance to pull them. Two very different things.

Upvote 0
So-called "security" apps don't really protect you. Common sense does. More details here:
http://androidforums.com/android-ap...explained-security-tips-avoiding-malware.html

Also, no viruses have been attacking phones. Some malware writers have created malicious apps and put them on the Market, and some undiscerning users have chosen to actively install said apps on their phone before Google has a chance to pull them. Two very different things.

So I guess you're saying be careful what app you download. The viruses I was referring to made headlines a few months back on all the major media. I found this from a year ago so I wonder if true, how more advanced is it now?:thinking:

Smartphone virus attacks soar - Telegraph

Upvote 0

Thanks for the link it is very informative. ;)

Upvote 0
So I guess you're saying be careful what app you download. The viruses I was referring to made headlines a few months back on all the major media. I found this from a year ago so I wonder if true, how more advanced is it now?:thinking:

Smartphone virus attacks soar - Telegraph
From that "article":
Among the new threats discovered last year was a malicious Google Android application that once downloaded would use a security vulnerability to take control and quietly begin sending premium rate text messages.
See? The application has to be downloaded. It doesn't just magically infect your phone the way the sensationalist headlines make it sound.

Reactions: xguy
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones