• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Seeking 3g roaming advice

cubarican84

Aug 29, 2010
OK. So I live in rural WI on a military base and purchased the Evo originally when it was released( no att service out here had to get rid of iphone, so was forced to verizon,sprint, or us cellular). My first 4 months when on base i roamed on either Verizon or Us cellular with great 3g speeds. At the start of 2011 all of a sudden my roaming at work is crippled and bogged down to frustrating speeds. I since have rooted, researched, and surfed these forums nightly. I've tried the Verizon PRL fix to no avail. It seems as I can get on Verizons towers but my download speed is still "capped" to about 90 kbps. My uploads are fast and sufficient. Ok, so then I've tried everything from multiple downgraded radio installs to even attempting to acquire US Cellular PRLs. My boss has a freakin HTC Desire w/US Cellular network runnin 2.1 and his download speeds are 5 to 6 times faster than mine. It really pisses me off since he is ******ed when compared to my Tech skills. LOL. I've also tried the EPST mod and still...nothing. Oh yeah, all the Verizon network people are running normal 3g speeds too. Any help/suggestions are welcome! It just irritates me that I know for a fact I used to roam and get 3g speeds in the same location just 2 months ago. Thanks

Thanks. Honestly at this point I would gladly welcome cancellation of service. I feel as tho they tricked me into thinking that i could roam as i please with 3g speeds. But now they have capped it. Recently rooting, I feel empowered and as tho I can beat this. But if i cant, then screw it. I'll join the dreaded Verizon and get an Iphone, or stick with their best Android phone... Would hate to lose my beloved Evo

Upvote 0
You have to have a cable modem where you are at to use the airrave, im not sure if you do, but if you can get it plugged into a cable modem, youll be good to go. But also, that is only around the airrave, like a wireless router, the range isnt going to follow you into town.. lol

Now, your problem with crappy roaming speeds is because Sprint is limiting roaming speeds. What sprint has done is cap peoples roaming speeds to about ~100kb/sec. You probably have the updated PRL (you said it used to be great, but now sucks) So that is what is happening to you. Go into your settings, and software information. You probably have the latest PRL, being 60675.

What you need to do, is try different PRLs until one works in your area. You will be able to roam, and have verizons coverage and ~1.5 MB down/sec.
The one that works in my area is 60671, so i use that.
If you have some time on your hands, let me know. I can find the guide on how to change your PRL, (its pretty simple) and give it to you.
I also have all the PRLs from the past year (60653 to 60675) and can give them to you.
Like i said, its a pretty simple process once you do it a couple times. Then, you can do it anytime, and it takes about a minute to try a new one. And if anything ever doesnt work, all you have to do is go to 'update PRL' in your settings to get back to the latest and back to normal.

Upvote 0
Thanks Bro! yeah if you could hook me up with the PRLs from the past year that would be so appreciated. Like I said I've been researching and trying different stuff. Yeah I know how to change my PRL. ##775#, then enter MSL and choose whatever PRLs are on my sd card. I'll keep trying. Ive even flashed older radio and pri's, nv's. you name it ive tried. but i havent tried many older sprint PRLs. Thanks again!

Upvote 0
Ok so after poking around i was able to find all the old PRLs. I will give this a shot. If it doesnt work then I will "force roam" my evo and download 24/7. lol. sprint will then terminate me and i will avoid early termination fee. I will then sell my Evo, join Verizon, and pick up the HTC Thunderbolt. Wish me Luck!!

Upvote 0
Awesome. If you got all of that, then you have it figured out.
And yeah, best thing you can do is force it to roam, (if you want, there is a $4 app in the market by Mr Greg that will help) and then download music, run speed tests, find some heavy files on mediafire (i suggest you download some 200 MB roms from xda:D ) and do that for a month. Id imagine after 2GBs+ of data on roaming, sprint will probably pay you to leave. Haha

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones