• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Seeking Advice: Link App to SD or????

puffer

Lurker
May 10, 2011
I tried partitioning the SD card on my optimus V for app installation. When using Link App 2 SD, I get an error message. "unable to mount". I also get an error when i try selecting FAT32. I tried partitioning my SD using a couple different apps but still no luck using link2SD. when i go to settings on my phone it shows that the 2Gig SD is only 1.15G total but still no link. I don't really know what i am doing. I am seeking advice on my options. Is the linking app to SD on my phone even an option? Is linking the right method or should i just move app to SD? I am rooted using super one click and using clockwork mod recovery if any of this matters. Any other advice on a rooted optimus V would be appreciated as well. Thank you in advance.

I tried partitioning the SD card on my optimus V for app installation. When using Link App 2 SD, I get an error message. "unable to mount". I also get an error when i try selecting FAT32. I tried partitioning my SD using a couple different apps but still no luck using link2SD. when i go to settings on my phone it shows that the 2Gig SD is only 1.15G total but still no link. I don't really know what i am doing. I am seeking advice on my options. Is the linking app to SD on my phone even an option? Is linking the right method or should i just move app to SD? I am rooted using super one click and using clockwork mod recovery if any of this matters. Any other advice on a rooted optimus V would be appreciated as well. Thank you in advance.

It's best to use Gparted with SD card via SD card reader.Linking is the best method. Froyo app2SD is not that effective .

Reactions: puffer
Upvote 0
Here is a tutorial I wrote up for Link2SD.
I decided to give Link2sd one more try now that I have an 8gb sd card and I have read about the dalvik-cache that says in the internal memory after you move an app to sd.

I currently have over 100 apps (probably about 120) and 108mb of free space of internal memory. I decided to do a mini-tutorial to hopefully help anyone that wasn't getting Link2sd going.

• Root your phone, I suggest this guide. [How-To] Root the LG Optimus V - Android Forums
  • Backup everything on the SD card, I suggest using Titanium Backup. Make sure there is a backup not on the SD card (like on your hard drive)
  • Connect your Optimus V to your computer and mount the SD card.
  • Resize the partition, I used Minitool Partition Wizard, leave 1-2gb of free space.
  • Create a new FAT32 partition with the free space, mark it as primary.
  • Disconnect your Optimus V and reboot it.
  • Download and install Link2sd if you have not done so already.
  • Run Link2sd, it will tell you it needs to reboot to mount the second partition.
  • Run Link2sd, it will list all apps it can move and tell you which ones are currently on the SD. It can't do anything with the apps on the SD already.
  • Inside Link2sd select an app to link to your sd.
    • If your app is on your internal memory select Create Link.
    • If your app is on the SD card select Manage. This will take you to the stock app management screen. Move the app back to the phone.
    • Hit the back button to go back to Link2sd and now you can select Create Link.
After a few apps chances are your internal memory will be full. Go back to the main screen of Link2sd, open the menu and select More and then Quick Reboot. Once the phone has rebooted go back into Link2sd and open the menu and select Storage Info. Your internal Memory should be full of huge tracts of memory now.

And I would suggest something larger than a 2gb uSD card for this. I have a 1.5gb partition for my 2nd partition off my 8gb card. I am looking to getting a 16 or 32 gb.

Reactions: puffer
Upvote 0
thanks a bunch guys working great now! What should i do next? Overclock? Rom? Kernal? let me know some cool things to do

Personally, I just recently rooted my V and installed the "bumblebee" custom rom. If you need help with how to install it, just let me know. It comes overclocked to 768 (I think), the TWS (Time Without Signal) bug was fixed, and everything works on it. And it comes with the WiFi Hotspot in the settings already so you don't need an app for it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones