1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

Seeking programmer who can..

Last Updated:

1. Berry2Droid

Berry2Droid Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

create or has in the past created an app for android. I have a very good idea, that ide like to put to work, and cannot do it because I dont know how. Also dont know if this is the right section really. If this works, or can work, it might revolutionize, lets say, Blackberry to Android and vice versa, messaging.

Advertisement
  2. mozetti

mozetti Well-Known Member

It sounds like you're considering an Android version of Blackberry Messenger (BBM). It'd be worthy to check out, I guess, but I'm pretty sure BBM runs, encrypted, on the RIM network. There is a reason Verizon has 2 data plans -- one for Blackberry and one for every other smart phone/device.

I'd venture to guess you're not the first one to think of bridging the gap. But it would require RIM to give another OS/device access to their network. And frankly, BBM is about the only thing they've got going for them. To me, the fact that they have a commercial solely focused on their Instant Messaging app reveals exactly how little they have to offer compared to iOS, Android, WinMo, and Symbian.

3. wjdunn3

wjdunn3 Member

Programming is my profession, but I don't have much experience in the Android environment...and I don't think I would have the time needed to invest in this project, but I just wanted to offer some advice.....$.02 worth anyway....

Programming good, bullet proof, idiot proof, commercial grade software takes a HUGE number of hours of effort...so be prepared/forewarned. If anyone tells you differently then they don't know what they are doing.

Make a written agreement with the programmer about how they will be compensated (revenue sharing or hourly or flat fee), and that they will not disclose your idea to any other party or use your idea for their own monetary gain without your agreement (a no compete type agreement).

Good luck!

4. Berry2Droid

Berry2Droid Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I work for Verizon Wireless, I know exactly how it works =)(this isnt a angry statement)

Something has just come to my attention, and I know it can be done. Just how, is what I need to find a programmer to think about for me sicne they know the ins and outs.

For your 2nd part. Blackberry is also very viable because certain servers, IE BES servers, REQUIRE and will support nothing but blackberries on their servers. Also certain programs or apps still require blackberry. They arent going anywhere anytime soon.

5. gparadox

gparadox Well-Known Member

I just graduated with a degree in Computer Science and have made a couple Android Apps.PM me.

6. rapidsandroid

rapidsandroid Well-Known Member

Have community colleges begun to offer seminars or classes on how to make an app?

7. gparadox

NJIT where I graduated from offered an iPhone App course.

8. AndroidRider

AndroidRider Well-Known Member

I have quite a few friends who go to or have graduated from NJIT, including my cousin.

9. gparadox

Really? Are they involved on campus? I was heavily involved, and was even elected to the eboard of Student Senate.

10. MisterG694

MisterG694 Active Member

Look into appinventor; very easy and actually fun. I know a bit of java and could try, what you need?

11. rsarno

rsarno Thank Me, Im Irish! VIP Member

Id hate to insult you with my pricing :( Well not mine, but the company i work for. We do mobile development.

But if your serious, and willing to pay for it go ahead and shoot me a PM. We have about 600 mobile apps in our portfolio.

I am familiar with most platforms and restrictions, and can answer any questions you might have.

12. mozetti

mozetti Well-Known Member

Well, I'm glad that your idea has some legs, so to speak.

And you're right about Blackberry still being viable. I just don't see them making serious inroads in the casual/personal market compared to Android and iPhone. Then again, I could be wrong. But RIM is certainly the leader when it comes to corporate/enterprise mobile smartphones. No one has been able to unseat them from that throne yet.