• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Seem to have rooted, but can't install busybox, titanium

AussieGuy

Jan 13, 2011
So, I ran SuperOneClick and rather than give error messages it beeped and whirred away, finally giving a popup "Sending an su message to your phone. Please hit allow in SuperUser". Well, SuperUser was now installed, but there were no popup messages, and nothing to hit. Meanwhile, back on the PC, the SuperOneClick was stopped on "Running a SU test"

I next tried to install BusyBox, using the installer I'd previously downloaded. It told me the phone was rooted (a good sign!), but then said "BusyBox was not found" and stopped.

Next: Titanium. I downloaded it, and ran it. First was the message: "Asking for root rights..." and after a long pause for thought "Error: Sorry, I could not acquire root priveleges. Please verify that your ROM is rooted and includes BusyBox and try again". So I hit the Problems button, and attempt to install BusyBox from within Titaium. It downloaded it fine, but couldn't install it, probably because of lack of root priveleges.

So - is my phone rooted or not? And if it is, how do I install BusyBox and Titanium? On the other hand, if it isn't, how do I root it properly?

Sorry if these questions seem foolish, but although I'm competed Linux user, I'm very new to Android.

Thanks very much!
-A.

Thanks for your reply. So I have to unlock the phone before I attempt to root? I thought that rooting and unlocking were quite different things, and that you could do one without the other. So this is another hurdle I need to find out how to surmount...

I'll keep on with my questions when I have them.

But any advice, hints, sites to go for help, etc, would be most welcome!

cheers,
-A.

Upvote 0
Well, I've tried it again - many times. Each time the Root process gets as far as "Sending an su message..." but SuperUser does nothing - it just sits there. The phone is on, attached, screen unlocked. At no time have I ever seen any prompts I can "Allow". Is there some generic setting I need to set? I've even tried opening up SuperUser just before hitting "Yes" (on the PC) to see if I get a popup message, but no.

No doubt there's some very simple, very small thing getting in the way, but I can't find what it is...

As before, any hints or advice would be most gratefully received!

FWIW: model X10i, Firmware version 2.1-update1, Baseband version 2.0,49, Kernel version 2.6.29 SEMCUser@SEMCHost #1, Build number 2.0.2.A.0.24

cheers,
-A.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Well, I've tried it again - many times. Each time the Root process gets as far as "Sending an su message..." but SuperUser does nothing - it just sits there. The phone is on, attached, screen unlocked. At no time have I ever seen any prompts I can "Allow". Is there some generic setting I need to set? I've even tried opening up SuperUser just before hitting "Yes" (on the PC) to see if I get a popup message, but no.

No doubt there's some very simple, very small thing getting in the way, but I can't find what it is...

As before, any hints or advice would be most gratefully received!

FWIW: model X10i, Firmware version 2.1-update1, Baseband version 2.0,49, Kernel version 2.6.29 SEMCUser@SEMCHost #1, Build number 2.0.2.A.0.24

cheers,
-A.

Confirm the USB debugging is turned on in Settings-> Applications -> Development

Make sure the SD Card is not mounted.

Make sure you have the latest version of MS .NET...check for Windows update after you do it...then reboot and check once more just to be sure.

But I think you might have to do like KTP suggested.

Upvote 0
Thanks, folks. It does look like I'll have to flash to another 2.1 ROM, and then root that. Or I could just stay unrooted; with the use of a few useful apps, like Launcher Pro and Handcent SMS the phone is quite a pleasure to use...

And the trouble with flashing is that it requires access to a Windows machine, which I currently don't have - all my machines run Linux.

Thanks again,
-A.

Upvote 0
I have a similar issue. I have full root with CTMOD 3.68 on the prevail SU installed and all that. I tried to install busybox through one of the market apps and it said /system/bin and /xbin had no storage space. I tried the other installer and it will not finish the install. I tried to go the titanium backup route and it says no root so i clicked the problems? tab like ive seen in some other posts. Nothing. Can someone help me out.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones