seemingly easy questions that have me stumped

Last Updated:

1. Xandria

Xandria Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

1. How can I delete an entire string of text messages in one fell swoop? I can delete them one at a time, but I just had to delete 44 text messages (an entire conversation between me and a friend) and I'd really like to know how to do this in bulk! (I am using Handcent SMS).

2. I can get the default ringtone to change, but I cannot figure out how to make each contact have its own ringtone. The manual says to go to the contact itself and then select "information" and then "ringtone," however, I cannot select these parts. They are grayed out. How to do this?!?!

3. I want the text alerts to only give off a sound, NOT a vibration and a sound. I went into the tools for Handcent and clicked the "vibrate only when device is set to vibrate mode" but it still vibrates. How can I make this work?

4. Is there a "help" section on the phone itself? Something I can search on the phone itself when I get stumped like this?

Advertisement
  2. scottmbolt

scottmbolt Well-Known Member

I can only help you with 2 and 4 ... because I do not use Handcent as I have found it to be laggy at times. I use the Stock app. Many users here use Handcent, so I am sure someone will help you in regards to that. Anyways...

2. Go to People>Select the contact>Click MENU>Edit>Get rid of the Keyboard (hit the little keyboard icon in the bottom left of the screen)>Select the down arrow under Ring tone section> Find the ring tone you want that person to have>Select OK> Click MENU > Select SAVE (very important)

4. I don't know of a self help on the phone itself, but here is the PDF of the owners manual and it gives you a "key word" search option, which helps me at times. http://support.sprint.com/global/pdf/user_guides/htc/hero/htc_hero_ug.pdf

Xandria likes this.
  3. i VTAK

i VTAK Well-Known Member

1. Click on the thread convo, hit menu<more<delete thread.
    2. You should be able to go to the ringtone itself, it should give you an option to set it as a ringtone or as a contact ringtone.
    3. IDK, my options do what they say.
    4. Menu<Settings<About Phone<System Tutorial. But it just tells you to go to HTC.com/hero

Xandria likes this.
  4. looneylu

looneylu Well-Known Member

1. Long press the conversation you want to delete. When menu pops up, press delete...

3. Try uninstalling and reinstalling handcent. I have no problem with the setup how you described it.

Xandria likes this.
  5. dhero

dhero Well-Known Member

For (4.) I have an application in my "All Programs" list called "HTC Mobile Guide" which takes me to a search and hyperlink enabled, small screen rendering, of the user guide.

Xandria likes this.
  6. Xandria

Of course!! Duh. I always forget about the LOOOONG press. :rolleyes: Thanks!

7. Xandria

Perfect! Thanks!

8. Xandria

Ah, took me a while, but I have finally realized that when people say "select" they mean that LOOOONG press thing. Once I actually "selected" the contact, instead of just clicked on it, I got it to work great!!

9. LastFrontierLabs

LastFrontierLabs Well-Known Member

When I had trouble with ringtones, I downloaded Ringdroid. Seemed to make things easier even when it came to assigning the tones.

Without downloading ringdroid, make sure you have a ringtone folder and once the tones have been put there, shut off the phone. When you turn it back on, it might have fixed the grey issue.