• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Accessories SEIDIO - Liar, Liar, Your Pants Are On Fire...

Holy Batman guys, it's just a battery!

I own a 1750mAh battery from Seidio and while I can't say I've seen much of an increase in battery life, the Android system never was or is known for maintaining it's battery life very well. You can take apart the battery all you want, although it's very dangerous, and you can look at all those cool numbers. You can claim you know what those numbers mean or compare them to other similar batteries, but the only person who can give us a straight answer can't. It's not because they are trying to hide something, they are unable to provide that information to a non-working employee and for obvious reasons.

You can't honestly expect an answer back from them confirming or denying this. The Seidio rep on here handled it well.

I personally highly doubt it is 1750mAh considering the physical size of the battery and is just an exagerration on their part. Did that stop me from buying it? No. It's at least 1500mAh from what I could tell and that's good enough for me for a second battery. It's not like they are overcharging for the extra capacity, they're charging a very reasonable price.

Companies exagerrate their specifications of their products all the time to try to attract customers. The most obvious practice is the battle of "contrast ratio" with LCD TVs recently with manufacturers using slightly different tests to gain the extravagant results and claims they put out. Maybe it's a similar case here. Either way, be an informed consumer and know that you'll probably be buying a 1500mAh battery even though the label says 1750mAh.....is it even possible to have such a large mAh increase in such a small physical space? I never thought so, I don't know why you guys do as well.

I've been wanting to do some dedicated tests comparing the stock to the 1750mAh battery but that's a time consuming process and one that requires constant attention; I still have that on my agenda though.

Reactions: twospirits
Upvote 0
I personally highly doubt it is 1750mAh considering the physical size of the battery and is just an exagerration on their part. Did that stop me from buying it? No. It's at least 1500mAh from what I could tell and that's good enough for me for a second battery. It's not like they are overcharging for the extra capacity, they're charging a very reasonable price.

Companies exagerrate their specifications of their products all the time to try to attract customers. The most obvious practice is the battle of "contrast ratio" with LCD TVs recently with manufacturers using slightly different tests to gain the extravagant results and claims they put out. Maybe it's a similar case here. Either way, be an informed consumer and know that you'll probably be buying a 1500mAh battery even though the label says 1750mAh.....is it even possible to have such a large mAh increase in such a small physical space? I never thought so, I don't know why you guys do as well.

Wow. So you're convinced the battery is around 1500 mAh, even though you paid for a battery that has 1750 mAh, but because you're not unhappy with its performance and believe this is common practice, that makes it acceptable (if true).

I only wish all my clients were like you -- "Hey, you billed me for twice the hours you actually performed work, but since everyone else is doing it, and I'm happy with the work you do, it's all good."

Upvote 0
Wow. So you're convinced the battery is around 1500 mAh, even though you paid for a battery that has 1750 mAh, but because you're not unhappy with its performance and believe this is common practice, that makes it acceptable (if true).

I only wish all my clients were like you -- "Hey, you billed me for twice the hours you actually performed work, but since everyone else is doing it, and I'm happy with the work you do, it's all good."

Who cares if they claim it is 1750mAh, I bought it knowing that it could very well be a bogus claim. I'm not looking for a 1750mAh battery, just a secondary battery to have. As a result, I bought the Seidio because there is that sliver of chance that their claim is true, if so then I made out in the end.

I'm just saying: this practice is not unique to Seidio, if you guys think it is then you're horribly mistaken. You can go out and buy a TV with 1,000,000:1 contrast ratio but you better not believe those types of claims all the time. If you do, you're the one getting fooled.

I never said I was unhappy with the performance....btw

I'm saying this: I'm surprised you guys believed the claim in the first place

Upvote 0
Who cares if they claim it is 1750mAh, I bought it knowing that it could very well be a bogus claim. I'm not looking for a 1750mAh battery, just a secondary battery to have. As a result, I bought the Seidio because there is that sliver of chance that their claim is true, if so then I made out in the end.

I'm just saying: this practice is not unique to Seidio, if you guys think it is then you're horribly mistaken. You can go out and buy a TV with 1,000,000:1 contrast ratio but you better not believe those types of claims all the time. If you do, you're the one getting fooled.

I never said I was unhappy with the performance....btw

I'm saying this: I'm surprised you guys believed the claim in the first place

Once again, other manufacturer's potentially having the same illegal and/or unfair practices doesn't make it right.

I didn't believe the claim in the first place. Nor did I disbelieve it. I just plugged in my stock battery after it was off the charger for about 36 hours, so I have no need for an extended battery. Therefore, I've never considered the accuracy of the 1750 mAh until this thread.

And I didn't say you said you were unhappy with the performance. On the contrary, I said you are being too easy on a potentially false claim because you are in fact happy with the performance. I bet if you found your extended battery performed worse than the stock battery, you'd be singing a different tune regarding whether it's acceptable to claim a battery has a higher capacity than it does.

Finally, this is all just general discussion. I am not saying Seidio's claimed capacity is true or false. I am leaning towards false based on Battery Boss's tests, however, until someone discredits Doug's findings.

Upvote 0
Holy Batman guys, it's just a battery!

I own a 1750mAh battery from Seidio and while I can't say I've seen much of an increase in battery life, the Android system never was or is known for maintaining it's battery life very well. You can take apart the battery all you want, although it's very dangerous, and you can look at all those cool numbers. You can claim you know what those numbers mean or compare them to other similar batteries, but the only person who can give us a straight answer can't. It's not because they are trying to hide something, they are unable to provide that information to a non-working employee and for obvious reasons.

You can't honestly expect an answer back from them confirming or denying this. The Seidio rep on here handled it well.

I've been wanting to do some dedicated tests comparing the stock to the 1750mAh battery but that's a time consuming process and one that requires constant attention; I still have that on my agenda though.

Man, I was right there with you until the part about how they are not overcharging for the extra mAh because that is exactly what they are doing! They are charging $50 for an battery that has the same mAh rating as the OEM ones you can buy for $15. And on top of that you say you dont know why we as consumers would think that it was actually a 1750mAh battery? BECAUSE THATS WHAT WAS ADVERTISED, THATS WHY :eek:

And the sole purpose of the battery is the mAh so your analogy to contrast ratio is more like if we got the battery and it was pink but still 1750mAh. Our situation here is more like you buy a 50" tv and when you open the box its only 42"

Man I gotta be honest, I don't have your back on this one. Your way off the mark here...

Upvote 0
This is a very interesting thread, can't believe I read each and every post. I really think the resolution is quite simple. Post some test results, side by side with a 1300, 1500 and a 1750. I mean, why not? In reality, that should be prominent on the vendor's website, it certainly would be on mine. If I had a hybrid that claimed 0-60 in 4.5 seconds you'd be darn sure I would have a video posted with a test driver and stop watch in the corner.

Agreed that testing could answer questions some people have. But it should be done by users with access to 2 Incredibles, one with a Seidio battery and one with an OEM battery, both 'broken in'. They could be turned on and just put on standby, side by side, simultaneously. Simple test, exact same usage. Optimally should be done by more than one person, more than one test. Takers? I could do it, but frankly I don't really care enough to.

As far as the manufacturer doing it, don't think it's going to happen. As I mentioned above, I can't think of a company that would. HTC doesn't post videos documenting their OEM battery life, and neither does Apple. To look at your analogy referring to cars, I can't think of any car manufacturers that have created videos to document their 0-60 times, can you? Outside testers, eg Car & Driver, Motor Trend, etc may post videos, but I'm not aware of any from a manufacturer.

Upvote 0
I take that back then, I was assuming the OEM batteries were around $30-40 retail, it seems I was wrong. There are a lot of knock-off batteries on the market so be careful of those as well (generally if it's too good to be true, it generally is).

From the search I just did, as of writing this post, I found a retail listing for the 1500mAh battery for $30, while that may still be $10 cheaper than the 1750mAh it's no $15 either (there was one listed on Amazon but it looks like your standard Chinese battery, who knows how long they will hold up). Is the 1750mAh battery worth it at $40, probably not. When it was on sale earlier for around $31 then I would recommend it.

All I'm trying to say in this thread is that you really shouldn't expect a huge bump in capacity at the same physical size. I've not noticed a large increase and am not personally surprised at that. Sure, it's probably a bad practice of "misadvertising" but it's a market strategy and it works. You can call them liars all you want, that won't make them change the battery or reveal any confidential marketing or manufacturing information about the battery.

@GMB - my analogy with contrast ratio follows the following logic: Manufacturer's use different tests or qualify their products different than other companies which lead to these exaggerated numbers. I'm not too familiar with the battery market, but I assume a similar strategy could be employed here (although mAh capacity is pretty straight-forward and I'm not sure how this would be done).

Upvote 0
As far as the manufacturer doing it, don't think it's going to happen. As I mentioned above, I can't think of a company that would. HTC doesn't post videos documenting their OEM battery life, and neither does Apple. To look at your analogy referring to cars, I can't think of any car manufacturers that have created videos to document their 0-60 times, can you? Outside testers, eg Car & Driver, Motor Trend, etc may post videos, but I'm not aware of any from a manufacturer.
I think Tesla did it quite recently, but nonetheless it was only an analogy. However, if I were a company that distributed batteries claiming to be better than the next guy I might do it. Once again, why not? Of course Apple would not. I mean do you think they really give a crap? HTC, no way. They couldn't care less. But Seido? I don't know, I'm just sayin'... I would certainly want to refute batteryboss and this thread.

Upvote 0
You need to let it charge for 5-6 cycles before you will see the real 'life' of this battery or any lithium battery. Give it a week, then post back. I and everyone else here went through the same thing with this battery and every other battery tried. It's part of Lithium Polymer life! ;)

Also, you should bump charge it because the charger in the phone doesn't really charge it all the way on the first charge. There are a number of threads about this in the forums.

Everything I can find to read on lithium polymer batteries consistently state that they do not require any break in period based on chemistry and design. Am I missing something here?

Upvote 0
I take that back then, I was assuming the OEM batteries were around $30-40 retail, it seems I was wrong. There are a lot of knock-off batteries on the market so be careful of those as well (generally if it's too good to be true, it generally is).

From the search I just did, as of writing this post, I found a retail listing for the 1500mAh battery for $30, while that may still be $10 cheaper than the 1750mAh it's no $15 either (there was one listed on Amazon but it looks like your standard Chinese battery, who knows how long they will hold up). Is the 1750mAh battery worth it at $40, probably not. When it was on sale earlier for around $31 then I would recommend it.

All I'm trying to say in this thread is that you really shouldn't expect a huge bump in capacity at the same physical size. I've not noticed a large increase and am not personally surprised at that. Sure, it's probably a bad practice of "misadvertising" but it's a market strategy and it works. You can call them liars all you want, that won't make them change the battery or reveal any confidential marketing or manufacturing information about the battery.

@GMB - my analogy with contrast ratio follows the following logic: Manufacturer's use different tests or qualify their products different than other companies which lead to these exaggerated numbers. I'm not too familiar with the battery market, but I assume a similar strategy could be employed here (although mAh capacity is pretty straight-forward and I'm not sure how this would be done).
What a stupid argument. I bought something thinking it may not actually be what it claims to be but Im ok with that because it gives me a marginal increase in battery life even though that same marginal increase can be had for $15 instead of $50 so you all should not be arguing that it may not live up to the manufacturers claims because manufacturers do that type of stuff.

Yes I know its a run on.

This really isnt how you should be living your life. Its called false advertising. Thats like ordering some kobe beef (and paying the price) and you ending getting some skirt steak. Who cares right? Its still all beef.....

Upvote 0
Everything I can find to read on lithium polymer batteries consistently state that they do not require any break in period based on chemistry and design. Am I missing something here?
yep that is what everything you read says....but its certainly not what most are finding. I know mine was much better after a week or so. Each time with m BBs its been that way too

Upvote 0
yep that is what everything you read says....but its certainly not what most are finding. I know mine was much better after a week or so. Each time with m BBs its been that way too

I dont see evidence of it myself...and really havent seen a true objective scientific evidence to back that up. Anectdotal things are interesting but dont really prove much beyond peoples perceptions. Seems to me if it were true the manufactures would make it clear so people would know what to expect.
Probably really not a big deal, I just appreciate the accurate info I receive on this forum so thought I would do my small part to help continue that.

Upvote 0
I dont see evidence of it myself...and really havent seen a true objective scientific evidence to back that up. Anectdotal things are interesting but dont really prove much beyond peoples perceptions. Seems to me if it were true the manufactures would make it clear so people would know what to expect.
Probably really not a big deal, I just appreciate the accurate info I receive on this forum so thought I would do my small part to help continue that.

Actually the Seidio battery includes this info in the packaging.

Upvote 0
Interesting, what part of the package and what does it say...never saw it.

It's on the cardboard insert that you can see from the back of the package. It says:

Innocell Battery Instruction:

Prior to using your new extended battery, please allow 8 hours for initial charge time. Performance will increase after 5-6 full charges.

Upvote 0
Interesting, what part of the package and what does it say...never saw it.

From the back of the SEIDIO packaging:

" Prior to using your new extended battery, please allow 8 hours for initial charge time. Performance will increase after 5-6 full charges."

I don't get the 8 hours part. After a few hours the device has charged the battery and it goes GREEN LED and removed the Lightning bolt form the battery. The device is essentially DONE charging the battery. LEaving the phone plugged in all night, I've never once seen it go from green back to orange (Charged to Charging).

Maybe they mean their battery charger ?

Upvote 0
From the back of the SEIDIO packaging:

" Prior to using your new extended battery, please allow 8 hours for initial charge time. Performance will increase after 5-6 full charges."

I don't get the 8 hours part. After a few hours the device has charged the battery and it goes GREEN LED and removed the Lightning bolt form the battery. The device is essentially DONE charging the battery. LEaving the phone plugged in all night, I've never once seen it go from green back to orange (Charged to Charging).

Maybe they mean their battery charger ?

Hmmm..dunno. Thanx for the info though..funny how much contrdictory info there is even from manufacturers

Upvote 0
A few thoughts:

1) No one has done anything resembling a scientific, controlled test yet, right? And still, based on nothing but hilariously tenuous "information", people are calling these "findings" gospel.

2) Anyone expecting Seidio to give us the proprietary information or what? You're asking for, basically, them to divulge the secrets of their product.

3) If the battery does its rated amount, you'll get about a 29% increase in performance. If we're talking a 12 hour battery life normally, you'll get roughly 16 hours if Seidio is being honest.

4) Point 3 can be hedgy anyway since it's basically a scatterplot, and all depends on a host of other factors. Until one of you guys takes fully, and I mean FULLY, charged batteries (as in, don't just pull them off the charger as soon as they hit green) then everything else is just anecdotal.

TL;DR this thread is a bunch of conjecture and hearsay versus a company being tight-lipped about its methods. Until SOMEONE throws up a legitimate test, then there is NO reason for ANY posts in this thread to be used as evidence of ANYTHING.

Upvote 0
a battery that charges over night has always given me bettery results that charging for say half an hour past a green light....pretty much on all my devices too

Funny, I've found the opposite. No idea why, but when I charge my battery before bed and take it off after 2-3 hours, I find I get more time until it needs another charge compared with the few times I left it on the charger overnight. Because I actually noticed a difference of a few hours, I stopped charging my phone overnight. Not that it's conclusive of anything, but my stock battery lasts much longer than most people around here claim. I get anywhere from 24-36 hours between charges and my phone does not sit untouched most of the day.

Upvote 0
For the fun of it, here we go...

A few thoughts:

1) No one has done anything resembling a scientific, controlled test yet, right? And still, based on nothing but hilariously tenuous "information", people are calling these "findings" gospel.

I don't know enough about testing batteries to say anything, but the guy at Battery Boss seems to have a clue. It may or may not be scientific, but it seems to be pretty well tested. Do you have anything to contradict this?

2) Anyone expecting Seidio to give us the proprietary information or what? You're asking for, basically, them to divulge the secrets of their product.

Please. Proving the battery lives up to its 1750 mAh doesn't require divulging "proprietary information." We are not asking how they pack in 1750 mAh into the same size battery as HTC packs in 1300 mAh. We're asking for a test with a completed battery proving it has around 1750 mAh. There must be ways to test this, and I can assure you, they wouldn't reveal any information secret to Seidio, other than potentially the true capacity of the battery.

3) If the battery does its rated amount, you'll get about a 29% increase in performance. If we're talking a 12 hour battery life normally, you'll get roughly 16 hours if Seidio is being honest.

My normal battery life is around 30 hours, so Seidio's should be lasting those who own it 40 hours. :)

4) Point 3 can be hedgy anyway since it's basically a scatterplot, and all depends on a host of other factors. Until one of you guys takes fully, and I mean FULLY, charged batteries (as in, don't just pull them off the charger as soon as they hit green) then everything else is just anecdotal.

This may be true. None of us know enough about batteries to say so definitively. And I think people overhype this "charge past green" thing. Read my post above.

TL;DR this thread is a bunch of conjecture and hearsay versus a company being tight-lipped about its methods. Until SOMEONE throws up a legitimate test, then there is NO reason for ANY posts in this thread to be used as evidence of ANYTHING.

We've seen evidence at Battery Boss and some Internet research. No one is saying Seidio is in fact lying. We just want an explanation for the questions that have arisen other than "sorry, it's proprietary information." To me, that's as bad as saying nothing.

Upvote 0
Batteryboss get flack for testing only a few of each batteries with his tester. Sample size is his downfall. However, his results consistently show OEM HTC batteries at around 90% or better than their rating. All the 3rd party batteries consistently show 80ish % of their rating (with Seidio is at 79% with their 1750mAH battery).

To this thread's defense, Seidio has never commented on what Batteryboss has found. Seidio has never commented on why their battery appears to last equal to the 1500mAH HTC battery. All Seidio has ever done was regurgitate the notion that they use the "highest quality Japanese cells." This is hardly any kind of comforting explanation for why we feel cheated.

PS. it's been close to two weeks since Seidio has signed for my returned battery, and I still have not received any refund. What happened to this company? I would have recommended them back in my BB days w/o hesitation. It seems things have gone downhill... or perhaps I've been duped in my younger years.

Reactions: DustinF00
Upvote 0
All I'm saying is that there's a whole lot of hullabaloo and people jumping to conclusions on both sides, but no one has any concrete evidence either for or against Seidio. There is no hard evidence that says these batteries are underrated or not, just a small handful of mildly suspicious things, which is hardly enough to warrant all of the fury and threats of BBB reporting.

Thus I, as a consumer, can only go by experience, and my EXPERIENCE is that my battery lasts a couple hours longer than my stock did. My stock would be in the yellow at the end of work before, now I've got 50% (although I did change a few things along the way). My battery life is good now, and this means that until I get any PROOF that Seidio is lying, I'm not about to get up in arms.

After all, it'd be pretty convenient if Seidio WAS lying. I'd get my money back from them and I'd buy something else.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones