• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Accessories Seidio surface case or Otterbox commuter?

I've been using the Commuter for a couple weeks now. Very professional looking and the fit is absolutely perfect. It appears that it could take some serious drops too. I can't comment on the Seidio, but I like this one so much I am not going to bother looking for anything else.

Paired up with the SGP Ultra Crystal screen protector it's a perfect combo.

Upvote 0
I do not have the necessity for something like the defender, and am looking for a case that will look professional and high quality while protecting the phone from small to medium drops.

Which is the better option?

Otterbox Commuter - one of the best cases made. I've got them on two of my android phones, right now.

-Mike

Upvote 0
I want something I can take off relatively easy though. I have the speck candyshell and taking it off takes the battery door and I'm looking to replace that.

I have the coummuter case too and love it. It actually look like part of the phone and is very durable. It is some what easy to take off. The plastic part would be the most troble. I just found out, over the weekend, that It will work in both the regular and HDMI dock if you take off just the plastic piece, flip back the protective covers on the silcone part and remove the additional cover on the docks.

Upvote 0
You probably won't go wrong with either or.

I'm loving my Seidio Surface case, looks & feel was my main priority. It looks good and doesn't feel bulky at all. Case only weighs like 2 ounces yet feels pretty tough.

Otterbox Communiter is around a buck more then the Surface case (every penny counts!) =)

Few pics of my baby from a few of those sessy angles on my fugly blue Ottoman from Big Lots :D

Get a few compliments here and there from the iPhone homo's in my family ;)

Upvote 0
I want something I can take off relatively easy though. I have the speck candyshell and taking it off takes the battery door and I'm looking to replace that.

You're gonna have a problem finding a case (any case) that has a tight fit AND is easy to take off. Once you put the case on, each time you take it off after that loosens the fit. The more times you take it off, the easier it becomes because the case is getting looser and looser. The Otterbox Commuter case is probably the best one for being easy to take off as well as holding it's tight fit.

-Mike

Upvote 0
I bought the defender case with the phone and I have used it with and without. The silicone shell makes it a bit hard to put in your pocket, but I guess that's what the holster is for. It does make the phone noticeably bigger but its so protected imo its worth it. The plastic shell was a b**** to get off the first time for cleaning but has improved since then. I have noticed that sand will infiltrate ANY case you get besides a skin. It also has a decent built in screen protector but like I said it isn't adhesive so if you are in a sandy environment be careful.

Upvote 0
The dust covers for Earphone, USB and HDMI on the Commuter are excellent.

They are so easy to open or close and seal really well - that's really important for any phone if you want it to last a long time without sockets being damaged when you insert a plug if there's grit, lint, crumbs etc already in the socket.

Getting a rugged case without covers is a waste of money.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones