Select multiple contacts to message?Support

Last Updated:

1. nicolas

nicolas Member This Topic's Starter

Hey guys,

I wanted to select a bunch of contacts and spread the joyous news of Obama in a text message, but couldn't figure out how to easily do it. Any one know how? :D

Advertisement
  2. jayjmcgh

jayjmcgh New Member

type their names in the to field and it will auto suggest contacts. that is the only way.

3. PhantomTrace

PhantomTrace Well-Known Member

type 1- then the area code.... thats if the people you are texting are in the same area, if not start typing their name as said before

4. nicolas

Ugh, that's such a pain in the butt. Ideally you should easily be able to go through all your contacts and select exactly who you want. If you want to send a message to 10 of your friends it takes a ton of time to remember what a names you want to send to and then slowly type them in.

Bummer :(

5. wankster

wankster Member

I had this problem the other day. luckily i was at work and just pulled up my contacts on gmail and went through it. kind of a pain. can you send a txt to a group of contacts

6. PhantomTrace

PhantomTrace Well-Known Member

Not sure thats a good question.... any answers?

7. ikkleste

ikkleste Member

I havn't found a way, and that's pretty sucky. THe functionality of groups would be great for mass texting (or emailing), either being able to send to a whole group, or to select recipients from your groups.

Hell even a way to be able to select recipients from your contacts at all would be something. It is lacking.

8. Zinzi

Zinzi Well-Known Member

I've been having the same problem. It's annoying, I wanted to quickly select all of my contacts to let them know I had a new number but it's not an option. I'd be happy with just a 'mark several' option like my old phone had but it even lacks that.

9. TateWatkins

TateWatkins Well-Known Member

Yeah hopefuly the guys at Android know about it and will put something in, it is pretty ***.

10. ghoonk

ghoonk Member

Something that the Android developers need to consider -- Groups or a distribution list. This feature is available in Gmail, but it is not present in Android. Would be good to be able to create groups and send out blast SMS or emails to my team at work

11. nicolas

Does google offer any sort of open forum for suggestions?

12. C-Rex

C-Rex Member

Agreed, I'd like to be able to send txt-msgs to multiple people quickly.

13. atatistcheff

atatistcheff Member

Yep, I did exactly the same thing when I wanted to send texts to a bunch of friends at the same time. Pull up the contacts in Gmail on the PC and then go through the list typing each one as I came across it. It's not perfect but worked for me.

14. harleyxlc

harleyxlc Member

This will be part of the answer....there is a way to create a contact in the gmail web app that is a distribution list...something like separate the emails with spaces, I think...I saw it posted, but didn't care so it went in one ear and out the other, so to speak :)

15. flixxx

flixxx Member

There is an app in the market place that has been released recently called "Text Easy".

It does exactly what you are asking for.

16. gsr717

gsr717 Active Member

Works only if creating new messages. Wont work if forwarding messages.

17. josh4

josh4 Active Member

I just got the G1 and was trying to send a text message to all my contacts about the new number.

This is crap. Somebody definitely needs to address the issue. All round terrible interface for sending texts. After selecting multiple people I can't remove someone easily, I have to remember their number and then painfully search for it in the To field.

I think groups suck.

You should be able to click the "To" field and select multiple contacts to send a text message. Thats how my last smart phone, Nokia E70 worked and I loved it.

18. punkzanyj

punkzanyj Well-Known Member

I don't see this as an issue, this is only the second phone I've had that lets send a text message to more than one person. Those of you with phone that let you check off a list of people -- consider that a perk, I've never seen a phone that did that. my T-Mobile Wing, I had to start typing and it would suggest contacts, and that's what the G1 does as well.

Don't assume that the features on your last phone are standard, some of them are special.

Perhaps the reason why it is not as easy to send a text message to everyone in your book is not seen by Android as a flaw but rather a security measure and helpful way to keep people from accidentally, or intentionally sending out a couple thousand text messages at once. Not everyone pays for unlimited texts.

Just my two cents.

19. disbekearney

disbekearney Member

good call on text easy =)

20. wkdown

wkdown New Member

I would also like to see this feature implemented. Is there a URL to find known bugs/requested features and the Android dev teams' status on them?

21. g1yall

g1yall New Member

The app is Handcent Sms -It solves this and so many other issues where, I must agree, the G1 has fallen very short. I mean come on, for all this phone can do, the onboard messaging options are weak. :cool:

22. punkzanyj

punkzanyj Well-Known Member

that's what devs are for. :) I see this as a perk as well. I don't need to send out mass text messages, but some people do. Now users like me don't have to have extra features we don't want, but those of you that do have your pick of several options to suit your needs. Win win.

23. kaykhanittha

kaykhanittha Member

Hi,

Is there any application better than Handcent Sms now in 2010 ?

Thanks.

24. srikanthkodela

srikanthkodela New Member

friends,
    1.select all contacts one by one for single time and save it in drafts.After that when u want to send to multiple contacts u can copy those contacts in drafts and paste those contacts in the new message.
    2.u might have send a msg to multiple contacts in the past,search for that msg and copy those contacts.

I THINK ALL OF U MIGHT BE KNOWING THIS.....

25. melmelstephens

melmelstephens New Member

Try the chomp sms app. It gives you a list of all my contacts and I can select which ones I was to send a new message or forward a message to. :)