Selecting a large number of files?

1. NineToTheSky

NineToTheSky Well-Known Member

I am pretty sure that this isn't possible, but I would like to do what I can in Windows in an Android file manager.

In Windows, if I want to select a large number of files, I can click on the first file, hold down shift, and select the last, which will select everything in between. Can I do anything like this in Android? (There are too many files to select individually.)

Advertisement
  2. Digital Controller

Digital Controller The Real Bass Creator Guide

I have Andro Zip File Manager and you just long press files then you can select multiple files at once and then choose to move them wherever you want.

Hope this helps :)
  3. NineToTheSky

Do you mean that you long press each file individually, because that's my problem: I've got too many to do that.
  4. Digital Controller

No you long press the first file, then you just press additional files you want.
  5. NineToTheSky

I'm sorry: I'm obviously not making myself clear. I have too many files to mark them individually. I need to do something like you do in Windows; select the first and last files only, and all the files in between are automatically selected.
  6. Digital Controller

Oh oh alright...I really do not know if there is a file manager like that on Android.
  7. Crashdamage

Crashdamage Well-Known Member

The OP means doing the equivalent of mouse left-click + hold shift key. I've never seen this in any Android file manager either, but it would be a nice feature.
  8. Digital Controller

Yeah i completely agree it would be nice but i have tried like 4 or 5 file managers and have never seen this feature available.
  9. NineToTheSky

Yes, I have tried several file managers too. I think it would be difficult to implement. Perhaps it's one of the drawbacks of using a touch screen. I wonder if Windows 8 phone and tablets can do it.
  10. Wilkas

Wilkas Well-Known Member

You can't do it on android but if you use myphoneexplorer on your phone and PC you could hook your phone up wirelessly to your pc and use your computer to access your files and move them, delete them etc.. you would be able to do it a lot quicker than one at a time.
  11. Crashdamage

Crashdamage Well-Known Member

I don't bother with MyPhoneExplorer. Why? You can only deal with files one device at a time. Tedious when you have several. I just keep most stuff in Dropbox. Then I can deal with files from anywhere, including my Linux box, and everything is like I want it on *all* our devices.

I have 105GB on Dropbox and a full terabyte on Google Drive. I'm really starting to 'get' this cloud storage thing. Addictively handy.
  12. Wilkas

Wilkas Well-Known Member

While it isn't suitable for everyone if you have one device it is great and will accomplish what the OP is wanting to do.