• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Sell me on the Evo, please! (over iPhone)

hookem12387

May 6, 2010
I apologize out of gate for posting a threat that I'm sure has had previous aspects discussed. I'd really like to switch to the Evo from my iphone come release. It's either that, or the iphone 4. I'm fully sold on sprint, esp over ATT.

What I'm not 100% on is Android. MY computers are all Macs and I do love the way that the iPhone seamlessly works into them. Double twist seems to solve some media management issues, but it still seems pasted on. I'm an avid podcast junkie, and love the way keeping my phone docked keeps it updated.

I'd also really hate to lose apps like the yearly Masters app for watching that, and the March Madness app for the tourney.

Basically, why am I not going to regret switching to Android? I just need a little convincing to push me over the top.

Thanks! And mods, if this is too repetitive, feel free to delete.

well for mac compatibility check this out http://www.markspace.com/products/android/missing-sync-android.html

been using it for my palm devices for years, other things you can set up onyour mac to sinc directly w/ diff google apps (gmail, calender, contacts, docs) and they will sycn w/ your phone.
As for the specific apps that you like to use on the iPhone you can prob find apps that will give you the same info or work close to the same as on the iphone, look here Find great Android apps and games - AppBrain and here AndroLib, Find all applications and games available in the Android Market for your Android Phone, HTC Dream, HTC Magic etc... to see some of the apps available. I have been using palm products for years w/ my mac and my ex used her Moto Cliq (android 1.6 i think but might be 1.5) w/ my macs for a while also w/ no issues

Reactions: hookem12387
Upvote 0
i have a macbook and cant wait to get rid of it due to apples recent douchness. android is better, htc is better, google is not evil and sprint has the best bang for your buck over all carriers.
hey maybe the iphone one day will come to sprint....lol
i still wouldnt buy it.

I use a Mac Pro for video production simply because it's one of the easiest ways to get an 8-core machine with lots of production software. Other than that I wouldn't buy anything from Apple. Their lower end computers are way too expensive for the specs and I don't have enough spare cash to be able to pay that much premium for a fancy form factor. They seem to be focusing on their consumption devices lately as I guess that's where the money is. Not something I am interested in and I really can't stand their way of trying to lock everything into their ecosystem. It's great from a business standpoint but it goes against everything I like about computers and tech.

Anyway, that's just me. Like any other tech geek I'm perfectly willing to talk about why I like what I like but I won't tell someone else how to spend their money.

In my *opinion* you get the most for your money with a more open and flexible system and the carrier is a lot less expensive.

Also if you give a crap at all, look into AT&T and how they illegally wiretapped millions of Americans for the NSA. Not a company I will be working with anytime soon.

Upvote 0
Bigger screen
Faster internet
No Apple lockdown
Cheaper plans

Some of these may or may not be as important to you as you seem to have lots of disposable income and a preference for Apple.

I definitely don't have a ton of disposable income. Law school tuition pretty much takes up every dime, so the plan savings are significant. I have an apple laptop because, in my experience, it's more reliable and I'd give up my sister before I gave up my typed outlines (not really, well, probably not). The apple lockdown has never really gotten me, and I couldn't care less about the moral stance of these companies; I just want to use the products (and to be frank, I doubt any are bastions of morality).

I think the faster internet and cheaper price is why I'm trying to sell myself on the Evo. I appreciate the comments thus far, all. Thank you

Upvote 0
You might also like 720p video recording and HDMI out. The mobile hotspot could also be very useful with your MacBook, especially with 4G. As far as android is concerned, I'll be coming from an iPhone once this phone is released, and one of the biggest things that I'm looking forward to is widgets. A very simple concept, but it's going to be awesome to not have to launch an application and wait for it to load every time I want to do something. Also, with my terrible sense of directions, free turn-by-turn Google navigation is going to be absolutely lovely.

Lastly, I will never have to deal with iTunes again. I predict that this will increase my happiness in life by a considerable percentage.

Reactions: hookem12387
Upvote 0
You might also like 720p video recording and HDMI out. The mobile hotspot could also be very useful with your MacBook, especially with 4G. As far as android is concerned, I'll be coming from an iPhone once this phone is released, and one of the biggest things that I'm looking forward to is widgets. A very simple concept, but it's going to be awesome to not have to launch an application and wait for it to load every time I want to do something. Also, with my terrible sense of directions, free turn-by-turn Google navigation is going to be absolutely lovely.

Lastly, I will never have to deal with iTunes again. I predict that this will increase my happiness in life by a considerable percentage.

And in Austin, too! Yes, the tethering is the other feature that is a strong sell for me. The Sprint TV is interesting, since I dont have cable it could give me some interesting options paired with HDMI out. There are definitely a lot of 'ups'. Are there really no 'downs', though? I alwys got the impression that android didn't quite share the "it just works" idea in the same way as an iPhone (which I've never had break or have any real issue), which is fairly important given a lack of time to jack with this stuff --actually someone should kick me off here, I have a torts exam in 13hrs.

Thanks for the continued input, yall. I'd love to hear someones review of Sprint TV. I'm betting it will output via HDMI?

Upvote 0
Are you at LBJ? If so, good on ya!

As far as downs are concerned: Not having owned an Android device, I couldn't give you a definitive answer. All I know is that I can't do what I want with my iPhone, and if I try, I'm made out to be some sort of criminal. With Android, I will be able to do what I want, and do it how I want. Being a heavy user of google services, I expect those to "just work." As far as in general, though? I have problems with my iPhone, and am constantly annoyed by its flaws. While Android may have its problems, it bugs me far more when problems are apparent on the iPhone--it's supposed to just work. Android might be a tiny bit less intuitive to your average user, but it doesn't live by a motto which is simply not true (IME, not in yours, since you say that you've had no problems).

Oh, and we get 4G coverage all over Austin, so... YEAAAAAH!

Upvote 0
I also live in the Austin area...and work here too! To me...just WiMax is a reason to take a look. Another would be the plan pricing. I've never owned a smartphone...but I have buddies that have an iPhone. Looks very cool..but this looks just as cool if not more so. In a way...you are also buying into possibilities that are yet unknown. Things are developing fast in the Android world...and later this summer Froyo is supposed to release. From what I've read this will make customization and gathering of different applications on an as needed basis possible. I'm pretty brain numb from hanging out in these forums for the past 6 months....and not a techy guy...but I think this phone is gonna do what you want...and do it well. Internet connectivity, email, google applications and an ever larger and more promising each day applications market. This plus a larger screen, faster processor front and rear cam....hdmi out. This phone specs out very well. Perhaps the new iPhone will be awesome?. Hey, I'm not gonna bash iPhone (at this moment)...but will say I think they made us wait too darned long...and now we have some awesome alternatives...and you might just find you like it better. In any event....I will be very curious about people just like yourself...who go from an iPhone to the Incredible...and want to see their opinions. It won't be long until you can see comparison reviews online! Yaaay! :D

Oh yes....and the support for 8 other devices via tethering/hotspot!

Edit: Just want to clarify....by made us wait too long....I mean...for a non AT&T alternative.

Upvote 0
I apologize out of gate for posting a threat that I'm sure has had previous aspects discussed. I'd really like to switch to the Evo from my iphone come release. It's either that, or the iphone 4. I'm fully sold on sprint, esp over ATT.

What I'm not 100% on is Android. MY computers are all Macs and I do love the way that the iPhone seamlessly works into them. Double twist seems to solve some media management issues, but it still seems pasted on. I'm an avid podcast junkie, and love the way keeping my phone docked keeps it updated.

I'd also really hate to lose apps like the yearly Masters app for watching that, and the March Madness app for the tourney.

Basically, why am I not going to regret switching to Android? I just need a little convincing to push me over the top.

Thanks! And mods, if this is too repetitive, feel free to delete.

iphoney is for sheep. nuff said. and its locked down to the point that dwebe jobs lets you do with it what he wants you to do with it.

android is FREEDOM

Reactions: hyabusha
Upvote 0
iphoney is for sheep. nuff said. and its locked down to the point that dwebe jobs lets you do with it what he wants you to do with it.

android is FREEDOM

See, I really don't care about it being FREEE. I want something that works, works well, doesn't need upkeep, and is possibly less expensive and more reliable than the iphone. I don't really have time to root the phone, customize a bajillion things, etc...

I do like the google syncing aspects if I am able to set up ical to sync w/google as well. That would be convenient. And I've heard the gmail app is top notch as a way to manage your email (better than the native email app?). That's the sort of thing I'd like. And I'd love to find more use in my google voice acct. It's really limited in its use on an iphone

Upvote 0
See, I really don't care about it being FREEE. I want something that works, works well, doesn't need upkeep, and is possibly less expensive and more reliable than the iphone. I don't really have time to root the phone, customize a bajillion things, etc...

I do like the google syncing aspects if I am able to set up ical to sync w/google as well. That would be convenient. And I've heard the gmail app is top notch as a way to manage your email (better than the native email app?). That's the sort of thing I'd like. And I'd love to find more use in my google voice acct. It's really limited in its use on an iphone
Well, from what i have seen android isjust as stable as iphone os. my ex's moto cliq was very stable (though it does take a little searching to fine some setting to get things set up like you want sometimes, she could not figure out how to get her sms's to make sound even though she turned it on in main settings, untill we relized you had to also turn it on in the sms app too b/c you can use diff sms apps then the one that came w/ it). She did have one issue also pop up shortly after an update, but it was b/c the update for the cliq had a bug in it but a wipe/restore os the os/apps fixed it, but that can happen to any smart phone due to any glitch happening during as update or app install on any OS

Upvote 0
Sprint lets you try it COMPLETELY FREE for 30 days. If you don't like it then you can return it and get every single dime back. Instead of us convincing you, just try it for yourself :)

I think that will be what I do. I just need to figure out how not to lose my number in it all. Thanks

I have an apple laptop and an old mac mini that's used as a media center. I'd hardly say I'm locked into the apple word, with no way out.

Upvote 0
missing sync will NOT sync your calendar if your desktop/lappy is a mac.

but there IS another software alternative.

Spanning Sync.

oh. and the Evo has a kickstand. A KICKSTAND.

word.

Free preview version available (found it on MOnday) with 2 way calendar Sync. You have to download 'Fliq Calendar' from the Android Market for 2.x devices so far, working great for me.

Beta and Preview Software - Mark/Space, Inc.

Upvote 0
I've owned all generations of the iPhone as well as a droid and (currently) a nexus one. I'll try to bullet my lists to make it easier to digest.

Iphone / AT&T

Good

• Nand memory is much faster when syncing and dealing with a card can be a pain (especially having to buy one).
  • The experience is more integrated and seamless due to iTunes and the ease of syncing.
  • Resale value is always great for an apple product.
  • Tech support, if you have an apple store, is great.
  • The iPhone 4 is rumored to have a 960x640 screen, which will be extremely crsip.
  • The iPhone 4 will actually be smaller than its predecessors, with a 16% larger battery (capacity)
  • The iPhone 4 is rumored to have the same A4 chip that the iPad uses. This is faster than the same 1-GHz clocked snapdragon processor.
  • The OS is intuitive and easy to use. Extremely polished.
  • The network isn't as bad as some would have you believe. I like in the LA area and have no issues with dropped calls.
  • Has the better browser. In general, more accurate touch input makes it easier to use.
Bad

• Over time, the OS can feel stale. With the grid mentality, it can begin to feel purely an object of function and not necessarily fun to use. There's nothing dynamic about it.
  • It's not likely the iPhone will ever get Flash.
  • Apple's lock on the app market means no unsigned apps without jailbreaking.
  • No user-serviceable battery.
  • Screen is only 3.5 inches.
  • Proprietary connector.
  • No way to upgrade storage.
  • Notification system feels slapped on. No quick way to look at all currently unchecked notifications.
  • No hardware camera button (? for next iPhone).
  • No tethering currently.
  • Plans more expensive.

HTC EVO 4G / Sprint

Good

• 4.3" TFT screen. Should be very visible in sunlight.
  • Android notification system is more elegant, allows you to look at everything at a glance.
  • Widgets and skins allow you to customize the phone to exactly the way you will use it.
  • Sense is widely regarded as the best android skin out there.
  • Open market structure makes it easier to get apps Apple may not let you have. Plenty of app choices.
  • Phone is very well featured, including an HDMI out for playing back HD video.
  • Battery is 1,500 mAH, user replaceable.
  • Storage is user upgradeable.
  • Many user issues such as the keyboard are addressed in mods that you can download.
  • Full flash is coming.
  • Sprint's pricing plans are cheap for the industry.
  • Browser is very good.
  • Mobile hotspotting.
Bad

• Android is still a younger OS. Some stuff isn't as intuitive as you would think, other things feel cobbled together. Some things can't be achieved without widgets that would seem best as stock.
  • Have to buy own storage upgrades (likely included with small card).
  • Media purchasing isn't as seamless as Apple's OS.
  • Touch input can seem inaccurate. I still cannot type as fast on an android device as I can on an iPhone.
  • Battery life for comparable usage scenarios seems lower (saw this with droid and nexus one).
  • Resell value won't be as good as an iPhone.

I've excluded some things that both share or are about to get. (both companies have history of bad customer service, both have front-facing camera, etc.). Also, in my experience, doubleTwist isn't very intuitive to work with, and syncing large amounts can be slow.

Again, this is just my perspective. Your usage and likes may differ greatly.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones