• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Sell me on the N4

+Fast and timely OS updates (when they exist). No carrier bloatware.
- No external storage. Glass back.

I like my N4, I really do. But it's not the perfect phone nor the perfect phone for everyone.

Wouldn't even consider the sgs3 at this point because the sgs4 is out.

Upvote 0
yeah, why go with SG3 when SG4 is out?

If SG4 or N4... that's a tough decision! If you going unlocked then n4 wins it's only $350 vs $750. $299.99 Carrier's SG4 comes locked, bloatware,plus software update has to through samsungs then carrier,,oy! It's frustrating! 2 year commitment ! On the other hand you get LTE,removable battery,expandable memory,1080p,13mp cam and lots more. Phonedog reviewed international version 8 core edition and AAron said that it kinda lags, not that smooth.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-arZEFIU8c0

Reactions: hotalings
Upvote 0
I have both and i like my sg3 better. In my opinion its the better device hands down. Better camera i like the amoled screen better and its just as snappy in everyday use as the n4. It just feels better in the hand to me. Alot of people will bring up the older processor and yea its true the s3 has last years processor in it but the original s4 dual core processor was and still is a beast. In everyday use it is just as quick as the s4 pro quad core. They could still put the original s4 processor in todays new devices and it would power them with zero problems. Now the n4 is a little more future proof as with the galaxy 4 out samsung will soon discontinue updating the s3 but it will get at least the 4.2 update and maybe one more so it will still be a relevant device for at least a year.

Upvote 0
I'm going to assume that the S4 and HTC One are both out because of price (if not, then I'm with the HTC One).

Given a straight N4 v S3 fight .. well, obviously, it's horses for courses and depending on how you want to use your phone, there could be a stand out winner - for example, if you absolutely have to have two or three movies on your phone at all times, the S3 is the way to go. If you're an Android purist and want the phone that will keep getting latest versions longest (and before everyone else), it has to be the N4.

For me, they're both excellent phones and each has it's advantages. I'd be happy with either - I'm absolutely delighted with my N4 - so I'd go for whichever works out cheaper overall.

If you're going with a carrier-subsidised phone rather than buying outright, you're probably going to get a better deal on the S3 - the N4 deals I've seen look really lousy, though I haven't checked them in a while.

If you're able to buy outright, I think the N4 is probably going to be the cheaper option.

Given the choice, I prefer to buy outright and not be tied to a network, but if you have a really good legacy deal - say with unlimited interweb at a really good price - that could swing things the other way.

Reactions: El Presidente
Upvote 0
I'm in a similar position to the OP - I cannot decide whether to go for the N4 or SGS3 to replace my HTC Sensation.

The N4 is a great looking handset, running latest and pure version of Android (I really like it on my Nexus 7). It has great processor and speeds as well, however the limited storage and lack of expansion or OTG support is a concern.

The S3 is a cheap, plasticky looking phone and after having the HTC I'm unsure about the Samsung UI. It has a slightly inferior processor (although not much difference if we're honest -UK spec quad core), however it does only have half the RAM of the N4. It's main plus points are the expandable storage.

The price difference between the two in the UK at the moment is only

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones