Sell me on your favorite ROM

Last Updated:

1. cmotion

cmotion Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hey all, been playing around with different ROMs for a few days, currently have xtrSENSE, xtr3.0.3 and White Widow nand backups on my phone and was looking to try out a new one. I don't have much space on my SD card (gotta do some spring cleaning in the near future) so I'm currently not looking for ROMs that require A2SD. I know with a lot of ROMs you have a choice- I don't know if the Froyo based ones force you to partition your SD card. I've also already tried Senseable and Ivan's Official. I know these things are all just a matter of personal preference, just looking for suggestions. Thanks!

Advertisement
  2. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra= VIP Member

3. ExcessiveIdling

ExcessiveIdling Well-Known Member

Well if you just read any of the other posts in these forums you'll see XTR roms are the more popular roms and in all honesty do appear to be the fastest/most stable. Froyo or 2.2 roms require that your sd card is ONLY partitioned in FAT32. So if you're pondering going from 2.1 to 2.2 keep that in mind as you must wipe your sd card, partition it into fat32 and THEN you're good to go. I'm currently running cyanogen tazz's froyo rom and am rather impressed with it. I think xtr might be a little faster especially since xtr is NOT overclocked and tazz's IS oc'd to 710. I've used conap's elb 2.8 (2.1 rom) which I liked, white widow 4.6 (which I had screen rotation issues with), KaosFroyo v24-28(2.2 rom one of the first I believe), xtrRom 3.0.3 and 4.0.4 and had random issues with messenger FCS but other than that it was sexcellent. Most roms I've seen will give you a choice as to if you want apps2sd or not. Since I don't normally use/install that many apps I usually disable apps2sd anyhow. So in closing...2.2 roms...you will have to wipe your sd card and partition it to FAT32 (if you're coming from a 2.1 apps2sd rom).

4. cmotion

cmotion Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

OK, I'll have to look more into this FAT32 business as I'm not really sure what that is. It does require a wipe of the SD card though? Hmm, I might want to stick with 2.1 based roms at least for now. Frisco, I think I will give Aloysius a shot. I have heard good things about it. Think I'll head over to XDA and check it out. Do you have/recommend the most recent version?

5. Frisco

6. doogald

doogald Guides Guide

As far as I know, you do not need to repartition a card that you used with 2.1 unless you set up an external partition for a2SD. If you never repartitioned the card, it should already be FAT32 and good to go.

7. mlntn

mlntn Member

I just switched (Sunday) to the vanilla version of Nonsensikal 3.4. It's based on CyanogenMod 6 (Android 2.2 - Froyo) and it has better performance than the other Froyo roms I've tried (cyanogen tazz and KaosFroyo).

I immediately got rid of the stock ADWLauncher in favor of SlideScreen and I'm sure that helped performance.

I didn't have to do anything with my SD card, but I can enable A2SD if I want.

8. Rossco_Pee

Rossco_Pee Well-Known Member

Same pleasurable experience I have with Nonsensikal!

9. xx_bishop_xx

xx_bishop_xx Well-Known Member

10. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I'll second White Widow 4.6, but without the ADW launcher it comes with. Update to the most current version of ADW, or use LP for better performance.

11. kobel1up

kobel1up Well-Known Member

I will have to agree with Frisco on the XtrRom, I had a few bugs with Xtrsense, so I cleared that card and use it to try out other Rom's. I love the Aloyisus snow rom, it is fast, smooth and very reliable. I have tried the Froyo roms and my phone didn't like them. Each phone, will like different roms and act better with some then others. My wife's Eris like's white widow, mine does not. So take what you will from this, agree or don't that is your call. My phone love's the Aloyisus snow and XtrRoms, 2.2 doesn't work for my phone.

12. eghill1125

eghill1125 Well-Known Member

I am also a fan of the XTR rom, but as of yesterday, I have loaded in TaintedTenzo and I am liking it a bit more than XTR. It is just as fast on my phone and the visual look is more appealing to me than XTR was. From the Boot to the status bar and lockscreen. I am sticking with Tainted for at least a week and seeing, but those 2 are the best on my Eris. Each Eris is different.....

13. Frisco

I find that to be true, as I read around the forums.

Occasionally I rant about it. :D

14. tcraig72

tcraig72 Well-Known Member

White Widow 4.6 w/LP instead of ADW. Although this thread is making think more about XtrSense and XtrROM. Hmmmm.....I see another flash in my future. Somebody make me stop!!!

15. lukesdiesel

lukesdiesel Well-Known Member

Cyanogen Tazz 1.0

2.2 Froyo
    Awsome Battery Life
    Super Quick with 0 Lag

16. the208

the208 Well-Known Member

I'll throw another hat in the ring for Aloysius (Snow version with Launcher Pro). XTR is a good ROM too, but Aloysius seems to perform better on my phone, has a better lockscreen, and looks cooler.

The bottom line is that you can't go wrong with either of those two ROMs - ultimately, it will come down to your personal preference.

17. mhseris

mhseris Well-Known Member

18. Frisco

That link is to the Aloysius ROM (v12) that is on my Eris (nand backed up as I'm testing a Froyo now and run xtrROM 3.0.3 as default).

But read here about the Aloysius series (and download links):

[ROM] Aloysius 2.0.1 and Snow with OC, Friendstream and APP2SD (7/2/10) - xda-developers

Snow:

http://www.mediafire.com/?5oj1ouzgnmn

19. Praetorian

Praetorian Well-Known Member

Kaos Froyo has been rocking with the latest updates. Don't get me wrong xtr is a great rom as well but I'm lovin 2.2 right now.

20. thrawn86

thrawn86 Well-Known Member

senseable was my first rom, after that I went to xtrSENSE with JIT on. worked great after I got things dialed in.

21. ppbb

ppbb Well-Known Member

cyanogen tazz 2.0 vanilla
    froyo
    fast
    stable

22. Slugdoc

Slugdoc Well-Known Member

Almost ditto.
    Loved xtr, but love Tazz 2.2 better.

23. mhseris

mhseris Well-Known Member

Started with PlainJane for a few days - nice ROM, kind of odd font (although I got used to it - I'm sure there was a way to change it). Flashed Aloysius Snow tonight and I have to say that is one of the cooler lock screens I've seen! I'll give it a few days for comparison, but I like the look a LOT. :)