Selling my EVO have questionsSupport

Last Updated:

1. sk8er88

sk8er88 New Member This Topic's Starter

So I am selling my EVO most likely on Ebay because they are going for good chunks of change right now. I switched To Tmobile and am now rocking the MyTouch 4, which is pretty sweet so far.

My question is can I just format the SD Card and maybe use a program like Spybot Secure Shredder to rewrite the card 6 times and feel my data is safe? I did a wipe of the phone expecting it to wipe the card and the phone as well, but when I hooked it up with USB and looked through it I saw records of all the games I had downloaded as well as all the pictures on there, which was a bit surprising to me expecting a factory reset would also wipe that....

Thanks for the help!

Advertisement
  2. Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed Well-Known Member

I think you have to format the sd card via the menu in phone (menu.settings.security.format sd card) or via a card reader. and yes using one of those programs is a great idea...i don't know that you need to do it 6 times...but i know i have used several free programs to retrieve previously deleted information from sd cards

3. n0really

n0really Well-Known Member

If you are truly worried about someone recovering your files, get a new card and place it in the phone. That is the most definitive way of preventing data leakage.

4. jamesdean

jamesdean Well-Known Member

Ditto, new card and a factory reset and you're good to go.

5. sk8er88

sk8er88 New Member This Topic's Starter

I did find those options but they were greyed out, so ixnay on that, but I think that it'll be fine, just navigating through the phone I see a list of all applications that I had used, but non were paid, and none contained my information.

As far replacing the SD card, that is a good option, if I sell it on Ebay I may go that route, if I sell it to someone locally, maybe I'll just format it myself.

The other part of the question I almost posted was could I take the SD card and out and completely wipe all data from it? There's a ton of directories, but I wouldn't imagine important system directories would be on the SD card, but would instead be on the phone.

6. Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed Well-Known Member

I am pretty sure I tested this when I first got the phone and it recreated those directories.