• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Semi-frozen screen/emergency dialer

Hi,
I am a new poster to this board although I've been following the threads before purchasing the maxx hd today on contract. My phone, only 6 hours old, is in an altered state of consciousness and I cannot figure out how to revive it.

Everything was working fine until I pressed the power button to wake it up and got a very peculiar screen. In the middle of the screen is a simple grey scale phone key pad. Below it are the words verizon wireless and beneath that is a red triangle and the words emergency call. Above the key pad is the correct time and date. The notification bar indicates that the battery is half charged and that it is receiving a wifi signal, which is what i was using before it crashed. If I press in a phone number, nothing happens.

If I press the emergency call triangle I get another keypad, which says at the top "emergency dialer" If I dial a number it says , call not sent, please dial an emergency number!

I never programmed an emergency number and, needless to say, no number works.

Turning on and off the power does not change the screen from what I have described. I tried to reset by pressing the power button and volume button and that does nothing either.

Any ideas?

Hi,
I am a new poster to this board although I've been following the threads before purchasing the maxx hd today on contract. My phone, only 6 hours old, is in an altered state of consciousness and I cannot figure out how to revive it.

Everything was working fine until I pressed the power button to wake it up and got a very peculiar screen. In the middle of the screen is a simple grey scale phone key pad. Below it are the words verizon wireless and beneath that is a red triangle and the words emergency call. Above the key pad is the correct time and date. The notification bar indicates that the battery is half charged and that it is receiving a wifi signal, which is what i was using before it crashed. If I press in a phone number, nothing happens.

If I press the emergency call triangle I get another keypad, which says at the top "emergency dialer" If I dial a number it says , call not sent, please dial an emergency number!

I never programmed an emergency number and, needless to say, no number works.

Turning on and off the power does not change the screen from what I have described. I tried to reset by pressing the power button and volume button and that does nothing either.

Any ideas?
All fixed. After I posted my question, I tried, just for the heck of it, to enter my security pin number on the gray key pad. That unlocked the phone and returned me to the main screen with the circles. I guess I didn't realize that that was the purpose of that screen since I hadn't timed out before long enough to trigger it.

Thanks anyway everyone. No doubt I'll be back down the road.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones